Recognising advancement of gender equality: representation, progression and success for all.
The Athena SWAN Charter was established by Advance HE (formerly Equality Challenge Unit) in 2005 to encourage and recognise commitment to advancing the careers of women in STEMM employment in higher education and research. Find out more about The Athena SWAN Charter and it’s principles.
The Institute of Zoology has been awarded an Athena SWAN Bronze Award in recognition of our ongoing commitment to the advancement of gender equality: representation, progression and success for all.
- A new pay and progression framework that recognises a broad range of contributions and responsibilities
- Introduction of mentoring and buddying schemes, a parent/carer network group and social committee
- Introduction of a Return to Science Fellowship that provides up to 2 years’ salary for grant-funded staff returning to work after parental leave
- Mandatory equality and diversity training
- An unconscious bias refresher course for all staff involved in recruitment
- New procedures to support students and staff during fieldwork
Soapbox Science is an award-winning public outreach platform for promoting women scientists and the science they do, which is administered by staff at the Institute of Zoology. The events transform public areas into an arena for public learning and scientific exploration. Since it’s inception in 2011 by Dr Nathalie Pettorelli (ZSL) and Dr Seirian Sumner (UCL), the initiative has grown globally, showcasing the work of 1000 women in science.