Dr. Chris Yesson
Investigating the impact of trawling on the benthic habitats of Greenland
I am investigating the impact of the shrimp trawl fishery on the seabed of west greenland using benthic photography and bycatch observations to map, model the distribution of cold water coral species. See the project page benthic habitats of west greenland for more details.
Phyloclimatic modelling is a term to describe the integration of ecological niche models and phylogenetic reconstruction. Phyloclimatic models are essentially niche models for ancestral lineages and these models can be used in conjunction with palaeoclimate reconstructions and temporally calibrated phylogenies to estimate ancestral distribution patterns. I am interested in using these techniques to investigate the impact of historic climate change on evolutionary radiations.
I teach phylogenetics, species distribution modelling (aka ecological niche modelling / habitat suitability modelling), GIS and computer programming. My old teaching pages were lost in the website upgrade. I have migrated the most commonly requested practicals to my github training pages (https://github.com/cyesson/Training).
- Aug 2013-Present: Research Fellow, Benthic habitats of the Greenland shelf, Institute of Zoology, London.
- Jan 2013-July 2013: Postdoctoral Researcher, Distribution of Large Brown Seaweeds in the UK, Natural History Museum, London
- June 2009-Dec 2012: Postdoctoral Researcher, EU FP7 Coralfish project, Institute of Zoology, London.
- 2004-2009: Associate Lecturer in Computing, Open University, London.
- 2008: Postdoctoral Researcher, Darwin Initiative project, Certification of Endangered Mexican Cacti, University of Reading, Berkshire.
- 2004-2008: PhD, Investigating Plant Diversity in Mediterranean Climates, University of Reading, Berkshire.
- 2004-5: Researcher, BBSRC project BiodiversityWorld, University of Reading, Berkshire.
- 2001-2: MSc, Advanced Methods in Taxonomy and Biodiversity, Natural History Museum & Imperial College, London.
- 1996-2001: Management Consultant, The pH Group Ltd, London.
- 1993-1996: BSc, Pure Maths with Russian, Queen Mary College, London.
Selected Publications ( Complete List )
Yesson C, Simon P, Chemshirova I, Gorham T, Turner CJ, Hammeken Arboe N, Blicher ME, Kemp KM (2015) Community composition of epibenthic megafauna on the West Greenland Shelf. Polar Biology. (doi:10.1007/s00300-015-1768-y)
Rogers AD, Yesson C, Gravestock P (2015) A Biophysical and Economic Profile of South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands as Potential Large-Scale Antarctic Protected Areas. Advances in marine biology. 70:1–286
Yesson C, Bush LE, Davies AJ, Maggs CA, Brodie J (2015) Large brown seaweeds of the British Isles: evidence of changes in abundance over four decades. Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science. 155:167-175
Yesson C, Bush LE, Davies AJ, Maggs CA, Brodie J (2015) The distribution and environmental requirements of large brown seaweeds in the British Isles. J Mar Biol Assoc UK. 95:669-680
Williamson CJ, Walker RH, Robba L, Yesson C, Russell S, Irvine LM, Brodie J (2015) Toward resolution of species diversity and distribution in the calcified red algal genera Corallina and Ellisolandia (Corallinales, Rhodophyta). Phycologia. 54:2–11
Wright EP, Kemp K, Rogers AD, Yesson C (2015) Genetic structure of the tall sea pen Funiculina quadrangularis in NW Scottish sea lochs. Marine Ecology. 36:659-667 (pdf)
Brodie J, Williamson CJ, Smale DA, Kamenos NA, Mieszkowska N, Santos R, Cunliffe M, Steinke M, Yesson C, et al. (2014) The future of the northeast Atlantic benthic flora in a high CO 2 world. Ecology & Evolution 4:2787–2798
Ciotir C, Yesson C & Freeland J (2013) The evolutionary history and conservation value of disjunct Bartonia paniculata subsp. paniculata (Branched Bartonia) populations in Canada. Botany. 91:605-613
Bijma J, Pörtner HO, Yesson C & Rogers AD (2013) Climate change and the oceans – What does the future hold? Marine Pollution Bulletin. 74:495-505
Dolan E, Tyler PA, Yesson C & Rogers AD (2013) Phylogeny and systematics of deep-sea sea pens (Anthozoa: Octocorallia: Pennatulacea). Molecular phylogenetics and evolution. 69: 610-618
Rengstorf AM, Yesson C, Brown C, Grehan AJ (2013) High-resolution habitat suitability modelling can improve conservation of vulnerable marine ecosystems in the deep sea. Journal of Biogeography. 40:1702-1714
Taylor ML, Yesson C, Agnew DJ, Mitchell RE, Rogers AD (2013) Using fisheries by-catch data to predict octocoral habitat suitability around South Georgia. Journal of Biogeography. 40:1688-1701
Yesson C, Taylor ML, Tittensor DP, Davies AJ, Guinotte J, Baco A, Black J, Hall-Spencer JM & Rogers AD (2012) Global habitat suitability of cold-water octocorals. Journal of Biogeography. 39: 1278-1292. (Abstract , Data )
Rengstorf AM, Yesson C, Brown C & Grehan AJ (2012) Towards high resolution habitat suitability modelling of vulnerable marine ecosystems in the deep-sea: resolving terrain attribute dependencies. Marine Geodesy. 35: 343-361.
Töpel M, Antonelli A, Yesson C & Eriksen B (2012) Past Climate Change and Plant Evolution in Western North America: A Case Study in Rosaceae. PLoS ONE. 7: e50358.
Moura CJ, Cunha MR, Porteiro FM, Yesson C & Rogers AD (2012) Evolution of Nemertesia hydroids (Cnidaria: Hydrozoa, Plumulariidae) from the shallow and deep waters of the NE Atlantic and western Mediterranean. Zoologica Scripta. 41: 79-96
Yesson C, Bárcenas RT, Hernández HM, De La Luz Ruiz-Maqueda M, Prado A, Rodríguez VM & Hawkins JA (2011) DNA barcodes for Mexican Cactaceae, plants under pressure from wild collecting. Molecular Ecology Resources. 11: 775-783
Yesson C, Clark MR, Taylor ML & Rogers AD (2011) The global distribution of seamounts based on 30-second bathymetry data. Deep Sea Research Part I: Oceanographic Research Papers. 58(4): 442-453. (data)
Yesson C, Brewer PW, Sutton T, Caithness N, Pahwa JS, Burgess M, Gray WA, White RJ, Jones AC, Bisby FA and Culham A (2007) How global is the global biodiversity information facility? PLoS ONE 2(11): e1124 (pdf)
Yesson C & Culham A (2006) A phyloclimatic study of Cyclamen. BMC Evolutionary Biology 6: 72(23pp) (pdf)
Yesson C & Culham A (2006) Phyloclimatic Modelling: Combining Phylogenetics and Bioclimatic Modelling. Systematic Biology 55: 785-802 (abstract)
- 2009: The Linnean Society’s Irene Manton Prize for the best thesis in botany.
- 2006: A BMC biology prize for Yesson & Culham (2006) A phyloclimatic study of Cyclamen.
- 1996: Institute of Mathematics and its Applications Prize for outstanding achievement in a Bsc.
- Contributor to the open source niche modelling project openModeller
- Implementation of ENFA niche modelling algorithm
- Co-author (with Tim Sutton) of the Envelope Score niche modelling algorithm for openModeller (used by the GBIF data portal)
- Contributor to the open source GIS project GDAL ( Geospatial Data Abstraction Library )
- Implmentation of TPI, TRI and roughness algorithms in the gdaldem application
- Python/GDAL raster calculator (gdal_calc.py)
- My Slideshare Page
- My Teaching Materials
- Deep Sea Biology Society - I am secretary of the society
- Youtube videos from Azores workshop on species distribution modelling
- EU FP7 Coralfish project
- Certification of Endangered Mexican Cacti
- openModeller – open source niche modelling software project
- Quantum GIS – open source GIS software
- Geospatial Data Abstraction Library – open source GIS software