Thank you for thinking about supporting ZSL through volunteering with us - you've come to the right place!
Listed below are the volunteer opportunities we are currently recruiting for. If you don't spot what you're looking for, please pop back another time to check what openings we have.
Volunteer Field Assistants (Namibian)
Location: Tsaobis Nature Park, Namibia
Eligibility to apply to this role:
- This role is available to Namibian citizens only.
- You must be aged 18 years or older.
Closing date: 10am, Wednesday 20 March 2024
The Tsaobis Baboon Project is an international long-term study of baboon behaviour and ecology and the wider desert environment in Namibia. We are currently recruiting Namibian Volunteer Field Assistants for our 2024 field season. These roles combine practical research with training, working alongside doctoral students and assisting with their studies and wider research activities at Tsaobis. The fieldwork primarily involves daily follows of baboon troops on foot, collecting data on the behaviour of individual animals, together with monthly vegetation surveys.
We are looking for seven Namibian Field Assistants to work with us for 3 to 6 months in the 2024 field season. This position is open to anyone with an interest in animal behaviour and ecology. We are particularly keen to hear from people who are friendly and easy-going, are reliable and committed, are physically fit, and show good initiative.
This is an amazing opportunity to share the lives of wild baboons in a beautiful desert landscape, to learn new skills and gain experience, and to expand your social and professional networks while being part of a field team hosted by an international research institution and global conservation charity.
Find out more about this role:
To read the full role description and background information, click here.
- Send a copy of your CV and a 1-page cover letter to Volunteering@zsl.org by 10am on Wednesday 20 March 2024
- Your cover letter should explain why you want to volunteer on this project and specify which of the following positions you are applying to:
3 months May to July (which may be renewable for a further 3 months, from August to October)
3 months August to October
- Your CV should include the names and email addresses of two referees.
- Please send your application as a single PDF document, with the cover letter on a separate letter preceding the CV.
- Shortlisted candidates will be interviewed via WhatsApp/Zoom on Monday 25 and Tuesday 26 March.
- Questions about the role before applying can be emailed to Guy Cowlishaw, Project Director, at Guy.Cowlishaw@ioz.ac.uk