Dr. Nathalie Pettorelli
Senior Research Fellow
- IUCN Rewilding Working Group Co-chair (2021-)
- IUCN Mangrove Specialist Group Member (2014-)
- British Ecological Society's Policy Committee Member (2014-2021)
- British Ecological Society's Diversity Task Force Member (2016-2021)
- UK GEO Programme Board Representative (2019-Present)
- European Science Foundation College of Review Panel Member (2020-)
- GEO BON Ecosystem Function Working Group Lead (2016-2018)
- Member of the Board of Governors, Society for Conservation Biology (2015-2017)
- British Ecological Society's Conservation Specialist Interest Group Secretary (2014-2017)
- Invited lecturer at the Global Change Ecology Master Programme, Bayreuth, Germany (2013-2017)
- ZSL climate change coordinator & Conservation Committee member (2012-2016)
- Secondment at UNEP-WCMC to work on REDD issues (2009)
- Postdoctoral Research Assistant at the Institute of Zoology (2006-2009)
- Postdoctoral position at the University Laval, Québec (2005-2006)
- European Fellowship (Marie Curie) at the University of Oslo (2003-2005)
- Lavoisier Fellowship (Ministry of Foreign Affairs, France) at the University of Oslo (2002-2003)
- Ph.D. Thesis at the University of Lyon, France (1999-2002)
- 2016: British Ecological Society Equality & Diversity Champion
- 2016: ZSL Silver Medal
- 2015: Point of Light Award from the British Prime Minister
- 2010: L'Oréal UK and Ireland Fellowship for Women in Science
I head the Environmental Monitoring and Conservation Modelling (EMCM) team, which is interested in developing tools and methodologies supporting the sustainable management of natural resources. My own research is about assessing and predicting the impacts of global environmental change on biodiversity and ecosystem services, with a particular focus on climate change; the aim is to conduct high quality, innovative and internationally recognized research through a multi-disciplinary approach involving statistics, remote sensing and programming. Extensive experience with remote sensing data and its usefulness in ecology and conservation drives my interest in promoting a better integration of satellite-based data in global monitoring programs.
- 2020: Stichting Ave Fenix Europa Foundation (PI; £168K)
- 2017: RCUK Newton-SEA Research Partnerships (Co-PI; £431K)
- 2016: STFC grant (PI) to support Soapbox Science (£100,000)
- 2014: STFC grant (Co-PI) to support Soapbox Science (£100,000)
- 2011-Present: For Women In Science (FWIS) grants to fund Soapbox Science (>£70,000)
- 2003: European Marie Curie Fellowship (~£125,000)
- 2002: Lavoisier Fellowship from the French Ministry of Foreign Affairs (~£15,000)
- Minor grants secured from ZSL, NERC, the Sahara Conservation Fund, the Royal Society (Travel Grant, Partnership Grant), WCS, Vodafone, and Planet Action
I am the co-founder of Soapbox Science, an initiative which organizes public science communication events that brings cutting-edge science to the public, in an accessible, fun, free and unintimidating way. Find out more on the Soapbox Science website. You can also watch my TEDx talk on science communication tips here
- Remote sensing in Ecology and Conservation (Editor in Chief, 2014-)
- Journal of Applied Ecology (Senior Editor, 2015-)
- Animal Conservation (Senior Editor, 2008-2016)
- Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society (Editor, 2016-2021)
- Ecography (Subject Editor, 2020-2021)
- Trends in Ecology and Evolution (Advisory Board, 2021-)
Sutherland, Brotherton, Davies, Ockendon, Pettorelli & Vickery (2020) Conservation Research, Policy and Practice. Cambridge University Press.
Pettorelli (2019) Satellite Remote Sensing and the management of Natural Resources. Oxford University Press.
Pettorelli, Durant & du Toit (2019) Rewilding. Cambridge University Press.
Pettorelli (2013) The Normalised Difference Vegetation Index: principles & ecological applications. Oxford University Press.
Collen, Pettorelli, Durant, Baillie (2013) Biodiversity monitoring and conservation: bridging the gap between global commitment and local action. Wiley
Lopes et al. (2020) Improving the accuracy of land cover classification in cloud persistent areas using optical and radar satellite image time series. Methods in Ecology and Evolution 11: 532-541.
Pettorelli et al. (2019) Anticipating arrival: Tackling the national challenges associated with the redistribution of biodiversity driven by climate change. Journal of Applied Ecology 56: 2298-2304.
Zhang et al. (2019) Global assessment of primate vulnerability to extreme climatic events. Nature Climate Change 9: 796.
Du Toit & Pettorelli (2019) The differences between rewilding and restoring an ecologically degraded landscape. Journal of Applied Ecology 56: 2467-2471.
Sandom et al. (2019) Rewilding in the English uplands: Policy and practice. Journal of Applied Ecology 56: 266-273.
Pettorelli et al. (2018) Making rewilding fit for policy. Journal of Applied Ecology 55: 1114-1125.
Duncan et al. (2018) Satellite remote sensing to monitor mangrove forest resilience and resistance to sea level rise. Methods in Ecology and Evolution 9: 1837-1852.
Lee et al. (2018) A new framework to assess relative ecosystem vulnerability to climate change. Conservation Letters 11(2): e12372.
Pecl et al. (2017) Biodiversity redistribution under climate change: impacts on ecosystems and human wellbeing. Science 355 (6332): eaai9214.
Skidmore et al. (2015) Environmental science: agree on biodiversity metrics to track from space. Nature 523: 403-405.