Africa is the second largest continent on Earth and encompasses a highly varied range of ecosystems. At the same time, poverty and the pressure of increasing unsustainable development and human populations mean that many of these ecosystems and much of the biodiversity is under threat.
ZSL works across Africa with local and international partners to try and address some of these issues, with conservation actions being supported by science to decide how best to conserve species and ecosystems and help local people:
- Engaging with industry, helping reconcile the needs of development with wildlife conservation
- Supporting protected area management
- Building capacity within countries for best conservation management
- Empowering local people to play a role in conservation and wildlife protection
- Helping conserve species that are at risk of going extinct in the wild
- Supporting the conservation of unique ecosystems