Satellite remote sensing
Climate change ecology
My research helps inform environmental and wildlife management, supporting decision-makers in identifying options that are likely to best support nature recovery.
It also informs the emergence and framing of rewilding as a novel, science-based, environmental management approach that can add to the existing portfolio of nature-based solutions to tackle climate change.
My work aims to address the loss of biological diversity by:
- Deepening our understanding of the processes driving this loss
- Identifying solutions that are likely to support nature recovery in times of rapid global environmental changes.
I tend to do this using remote sensing technologies, such as satellite remote sensing.
I hope to see biodiversity being brought back globally to levels last seen in the 1970s before I die. I also want to see a future where nature and humans both flourish, and where climate change is not threatening our lives, health and livelihoods.
I have a clear interest in promoting equality, diversity and inclusion (EDI) in science and technology. In 2011, I co-founded Soapbox Science, a public outreach platform for promoting women and non-binary scientists and the science they do.
If you are interested in joining my team, or discussing collaboration, please do not hesitate to drop me an email.
- 1999-2002: Ph.D. Thesis (UMR CNRS 5558, University Lyon I (France); State funded
- 1998-1999: Advanced Graduate Degree (DEA) in Modelling of Biological Systems (University Lyon I)
- 1997-1998: MSc, Population Biology and Ecosystems (University Paris VI, France)
- 1996-1997: License, Biology of Organisms (University Paris VI, France)
- 1994-1996: DEUG (General Studies University Diploma) in Biological Sciences (University of Strasbourg, France)
- 08/2016 – Present: Senior Research Fellow at the Institute of Zoology 04/2009 – 08/2016: Research Fellow at the Institute of Zoology
- 08/2009-11/2009: Secondment at the World Conservation Monitoring Centre (UNEP-WCMC)
- 04/2006-03/2009: Postdoctoral Research Assistant position at the Institute of Zoology
- 09/2005-03/2006: Postdoctoral Research Fellow, University Laval, Québec
- 12/2002-08/2005: Postdoctoral Research Fellow, University of Oslo, Norway
Prizes, Awards and Other Honours
- 2016: ZSL Silver Medal for contributions to the understanding and appreciation of zoology
- 2016: British Ecological Society Equality & Diversity Champion
- 2015: Point of Light Award from the British Prime Minister
- 2010: L’Oreal UNESCO Royal Society Fellowship (For Women in Science, FWIS)
- 2003: Marie Curie Fellowship from the European Research Council
Appointments and Affiliations
- Editor in Chief for Remote Sensing in Ecology and Conservation (2014-)
- Senior Editor for Journal of Applied Ecology (2014-2022)
- Animal Conservation (2008-2016) and Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society (2016-2021)
- Topic Editor for Ecography (2019-2021).
- Trends in Ecology and Evolution Advisory board member (2021-)
- Member at large of the SCB Board of Governors (2015-2017)
- BES Policy Committee member (2014-2021)
- BES Conservation Specialist Interest Group Chair (2014-2018)
- BES (2016-2021) & SCB (2015-2017) Diversity Committee member.
- UK representative on the Programmes Board of the intergovernmental Group on Earth Observations (GEO, 2019-)
- JNCC Terrestrial Evidence review team (2018-2019); IUCN Mangrove Specialist Group member (2013-)
- IUCN Rewilding Working Group co-chair (2021-)
- GEO BON Ecosystem Function Working Group Lead (2016-2018)
- Durrell’s conservation committee (2020-2022)
- Grant panel member for the French Foundation for Research on Biodiversity, Horizon 2020, NERC, Research Council of Norway, Polish Academy of Science; Member of the European Science Foundation College of Review.