Please note you can still purchase a standard admission ticket to ZSL Whipsnade Zoo and take part in all of the Special Children's Day activities.
Special Children's Day is a unique annual event at ZSL Whipsnade Zoo welcoming children with special needs and their families and friends. With increased specialist facilities and number of staff, as well as special interactive events and discounted entry, Special Children's Day is an exciting and exceptional event not to be missed.
All Special Children's Day activities are free and all Zoo visitors are welcome to join in.
- A Very Special Welcome: Pick up your Special Children’s Day planner. There are friendly animal-costumed characters to meet and our staff and volunteers will be at hand to assist you as your fun day gets underway!
- Singing Hands: Meet Suzanne & Tracy in person as they introduce you to the amazing world of animals through Makaton themed signs, songs, rhymes, stories and games
- Wildlife Gardening: Plant a seed to take back with you and grow at home, or build a mini-beast hotel to attract wildlife into gardens
- Sensory Storytelling: Immersive and interactive stories about the natural world
- Hands on Habitats: Investigate the natural world with our hands-on activities
- LIVE! talks: Our amazing animal talks will be accompanied by British Sign Language interpreters throughout the day
- Art Activities: Get creative with our fun family art activities
- Hullabazoo indoor play
- Charity Hub: charities will be on hand to offer guidance, advise and networking opportunities for families
- Chill Out Room: Somewhere to take a break from all the excitement!
- Fantastic new Visitor Centre and shop!
- Additional friendly staff and volunteers on hand to assist
- Additional facilities, including changing hoist
- First Aid post with fully qualified staff
- Free all day parking in the main ZSL car park (only a short walk from the main Zoo entrance)
We have a designated special welcome for Special Children's Day ticket holders, as well as unique events for all, however please note that the Zoo is open as per usual during this day. We are proud that everyone can soak up the atmosphere and enjoy a great day out together.
The Patron's Fund - ZSL is grateful for the generous donation received from The Patron’s Fund. The Patron’s Fund was set up to acknowledge the work of the charitable organisations for which Her Majesty, The Queen acts as a Patron, on the occasion of her 90th birthday.