Special Children's Day is a unique annual event at ZSL Whipsnade Zoo, welcoming children with special needs and their families and friends. With increased specialist facilities and staff presence, as well as interactive events and discounted entry, Special Children's Day is an exciting event not to be missed.
This year’s Special Children’s Day event will take place on Saturday 15 and Sunday 16 June 2019. All activities are free and all Zoo visitors are welcome to join in.
- A Very Special Welcome: There are friendly animal-costumed characters to meet and our staff and volunteers will be at hand to assist you as your fun day gets underway! Pick up your Special Children’s Day planner.
- Singing Hands: Meet Suzanne and Tracy in person as they introduce you to the amazing world of animals through Makaton themed signs, songs, rhymes, stories and games.
- Wildlife Gardening: Plant a seed to take back with you and grow at home or build a bug- hotel to attract wildlife into gardens.
- Sensory Storytelling: Immersive and interactive stories about the natural world.
- Hands on Habitats: Investigate the natural world with our hands-on activities.
- LIVE! talks: Many of our amazing animal talks will be accompanied by British Sign Language interpreters throughout the day.
- Art Activities: Get creative with our fun family art activities.
- Hullabazoo will be open all day with specific SCD ticket holder only time slots available. Please note, age restrictions are necessary for the safe use of equipment; children must play in the age appropriate area (baby garden 18mth - 3yrs, junior play frame for 4-10 yrs.). Maximum age on the equipment is age 10.
- Chill Out Room: Somewhere quiet and calm to take a break from all the excitement.
- Additional friendly staff and volunteers on hand to assist
- A High Dependency Unit including changing hoist will be on site
- First Aid post with fully qualified staff
We have a designated special welcome for Special Children's Day ticket holders, as well as unique events for all, however please note that the Zoo is open as per usual during this day. We are proud that everyone can soak up the atmosphere and enjoy a great day out together.
Parking and car admission
ZSL Whipsnade Zoo covers a large area, vehicles are permitted within the grounds at an additional cost. Please note ZSL Whipsnade Zoo is not a safari park.
When visiting ZSL Whipsnade Zoo for Special Children’s Day by car there are three options:
- You may park in our free external car park (only a short walk from the main Zoo entrance) and walk around the Zoo
- You may drive into the Zoo and park in specified areas around the Zoo.
- Blue badge holders can gain car access into the Zoo as part of their Special Children’s Day ticket.
For more details please see our parking information.