Experience the world of the Very Hungry Caterpillar & Friends like never before – at ZSL London Zoo.
One of the best family friendly days out in London
Take a step into The Very Hungry Caterpillar’s miniature world with a series of action-packed activities celebrating the iconic book and its ravenous, wriggly hero.
If you’re looking for things to do with the family in London, look no further! Begin with a storytelling session* in the main hub. On weekdays, preeschoolers will enjoy a storytelling session* designed for younger children – including Eric Carle’s brand new book ‘Wild Animal Hide and Seek’. At weekend storytelling sessions*, designed for all ages, keep an eye out for special appearances by The Very Hungry Caterpillar!
After that, your kids will tackle their own caterpillar-inspired challenge – journeying through supersized fruits, assault-course style – to metamorphose into beautiful butterflies; the perfect photo opportunity for you and your family.
You’ll find plenty of real-life butterflies in Butterfly Paradise, where you can learn how to welcome more of these beautiful creatures into your own home, including the chance to make seed bombs for your garden. There are also crafting activities for the whole family, from spinning your own spider webs to creating a bug feast!
A great value day out, The Very Hungry Caterpillar activities are free with Zoo entry:
- Interactive storytelling* for your little ones
- ‘Munch’ through the giant food trail
- Meet The Very Hungry Caterpillar himself on weekends!
- Bug-tastic crafts for children (and adults!) of all ages
- Create wildlife-friendly seed bombs for your garden
- Discover other amazing bugs
- Plus see the Zoo’s 19,000 awesome animals!
All storytelling sessions are free, but due to social distancing requirements, capacities are strictly limited.
On weekends, please book on the day when you arrive at the zoo. There are eight sessions throughout the day. Just head to the spotty dome in Barclay Court (next to the carousel) to reserve your place!
On weekdays, our storytelling sessions will take place at 1pm each day. Admission will be on a first come, first served basis. Just head to the storytelling hub opposite Tiny Giants and take a socially-distanced seat!
Not a ZSL member? Sign up to our emails for the latest updates, zoo news and ticket information.
The Very Hungry Caterpillar event will comply with all COVID-19 advice and restrictions as set by the Government. We will have systems in place to keep all visitors, staff and volunteers safe throughout the experience. These include:
- Advanced onsite booking for storytelling sessions on weekends, enabling us to manage capacity and allow for social distancing measures.
- Socially-distanced benches in the open air for storytelling sessions. Visitors will remain seated throughout and are advised to prepare for poor weather conditions.
- Crawl through fruits will be sanitised regularly and will follow the zoo’s one-way routes.
- Queuing systems at busy points throughout the trail, with teams of friendly volunteers on hand to assist.
- All craft activities are designed for visitors to make individually and take home. Anything shared will be sanitised before each use.
- Face coverings should be worn by all visitors aged 11 and over when visiting The Very Hungry Caterpillar’s friends at our indoor exhibits (unless visitors have an exemption).
- Hand sanitiser will be available at regular stops throughout the trail for visitor use.
- The Very Hungry Caterpillar event will adhere to all other ZSL London Zoo COVID-19 measures.
© 2021 Penguin Random House LLC. ERIC CARLE, THE VERY HUNGRY CATERPILLAR, THE WORLD OF ERIC CARLE logo, the Caterpillar logo and related designs, logos, and names are trademarks and/or registered trademarks of Penguin Random House LLC. All rights reserved. “The Very Hungry Caterpillar” is published by Penguin Random House LLC.