Special Children's Day 2019 has now ended. Please chack back in early 2020 for details of the next event.
With increased specialist facilities and staff presence, as well as interactive events and discounted entry, Special Children's Day is an exciting and exceptional annual event not to be missed.
Highlights of 2019's event:
- A Very Special Welcome: A dedicated Special Children's Day entrance where our staff and volunteers will be ready to greet you. Pick up your Special Children’s Day planner and meet our friendly animal-costumed characters!
- Singing Hands: Meet Suzanne and Tracy in person as they introduce you to the amazing world of animals through Makaton themed signs, songs, rhymes, stories and games. Shows are free and run throughout the day.
- Wildlife Gardening: Plant a seed to take back with you and grow at home or build a bug hotel to attract wildlife to your garden.
- Sensory Storytelling: Immersive and interactive stories about the natural world. Shows are free and run throughout the day.
- Hands on Habitats: Investigate the natural world with our hands-on activities.
- LIVE! talks: Many of our amazing animal talks will be accompanied by British Sign Language interpreters throughout the weekend.
- Animal Adventure: Meet some of our fantastic animals and keepers and get close up and hands on in the 'Touch Paddock'.
- Art Zone: Get creative with our fun family art activities.
- Chill Out Room: Somewhere quiet and calm to take a break from all the excitement.
- Additional friendly staff and volunteers on hand to assist
- A High Dependency Unit will be on site as well as a changing hoist and bed in our first aid post.
- A reserved picnic area for Special Children's Day families
- A dedicated first aid and lost children's post with qualified staff