Special Children's Day is a unique annual event at ZSL London Zoo, welcoming children with special needs and their families and friends.
With increased specialist facilities and staff presence, as well as interactive events and discounted entry, Special Children's Day is an exciting and exceptional event not to be missed.
This year’s Special Children’s Day will take place on Saturday 18 and Sunday 19 May 2019.
All Special Children's Day activities are free and all Zoo visitors are welcome to join in the fun!
- A Very Special Welcome: A dedicated Special Children's Day entrance where our staff and volunteers will be ready to greet you. Pick up your Special Children’s Day planner and meet our friendly animal-costumed characters!
- Singing Hands: Meet Suzanne and Tracy in person as they introduce you to the amazing world of animals through Makaton themed signs, songs, rhymes, stories and games. Shows are free and run throughout the day.
- Wildlife Gardening: Plant a seed to take back with you and grow at home or build a bug hotel to attract wildlife to your garden.
- Sensory Storytelling: Immersive and interactive stories about the natural world. Shows are free and run throughout the day.
- Hands on Habitats: Investigate the natural world with our hands-on activities.
- LIVE! talks: Many of our amazing animal talks will be accompanied by British Sign Language interpreters throughout the weekend.
- Animal Adventure: Meet some of our fantastic animals and keepers and get close up and hands on in the 'Touch Paddock'.
- Art Zone: Get creative with our fun family art activities.
- Chill Out Room: Somewhere quiet and calm to take a break from all the excitement.
- Additional friendly staff and volunteers on hand to assist
- A High Dependency Unit will be on site as well as a changing hoist and bed in our first aid post.
- A reserved picnic area for Special Children's Day families
- A dedicated first aid and lost children's post with qualified staff
We have a designated special welcome and entrance for Special Children's Day ticket holders, as well as unique events for you all; however please note that ZSL London Zoo is open as per usual during this event. We are proud that everyone can soak up the atmosphere and enjoy a great day out together.
We have parking facilities, plus we're outside of the congestion charge.
Please be aware, parking in the Zoo's main car park is significantly reduced due to ongoing third party works. For more details please see our parking information.
Disabled visitors can park on the main road for up to four hours. We do also have disabled parking spaces in the main car park.
All Pay and Display parking bays in Regent's Park allow free parking to blue badge holders (for a maximum of four hours, Monday to Saturday 9am - 6pm).
Find out more about Disabled access in ZSL London Zoo.
Bag checks in progress
We always want to make sure that ZSL London Zoo is a safe and secure place to visit. In line with increased security measures being implemented across the UK, we will be carrying out bag checks at the Zoo entrance. We would also recommend, wherever possible, you leave large bags at home.