See animals in a different light at Rainforest Life, ZSL London Zoo’s exciting indoor exhibit - including an amazing noctural experience.
Enter London’s only living rainforest where you can come face to face with a variety of amazing rainforest species including monkeys, sloth, armadillo and tamandua.
Then step out of the light and into the all-new ‘Night Life’ area, where you’ll discover the bats, rats and nocturnal wonders who make the dark their home.
When you venture into Rainforest Life, you might be lucky enough to see our two-toed sloth family. Mum Marilyn, Dad Leander, and baby Jeff are all choloepus hoffmanni (that’s sloth to me and you).
Sloths are wonderful mammals with some strange features that really make them stand out. Here are just a few curious facts:
- Sloths are the world’s slowest mammal, yet they’re not as lazy as you might think. Sloths sleep for around 15 hours a day while a tiger can nap up to 20 hours a day!
- A sloths’ internal organs, such as the heart, spleen, and liver are all arranged to accommodate living upside-down.
- Sloths don’t do well on the ground, as their weak hind legs mean they have to pull themselves along. However, their strong long arms make them excellent swimmers. They can even hold their breath for up to 40 minutes!
- Sloths have grooved fur that allows algae to grow through it. This green tint allows the sloth to blend into its habitat – and provides a tasty afternoon snack.
- The grip of a sloth is so strong that when they die they sometimes remain hanging on the trees.
The rainforest is a bustling neighbourhood.
The warmth you feel, the water that drips and trees which soar give rise to a bewildering array of inhabitants.
In just one tree you could find a community of over 1000 species of insects.
With so much competition animals have evolved wonderful adaptations to help them survive.
Tubular tongues, screeching songs and talented tails add to the rich tapestry of rainforest life.
Meet the creatures who only come out in the dark in this amazing nocturnal experience.
Animals are kings in this nocturnal world with their giant eyes, protruding whiskers and voluminous ears, which give them an appearance we perceive to be scary.
Meet the rats, bats, armadillos and slender lorises in Night Life.