Animal Adventure, our children's zoo, allows children the chance to immerse themselves in the sights, sounds, smells and experiences of life in the animal kingdom.
Tree Top Zone
Start your adventure at Treetop Village and meet the coatis who make their lives among the leaves. Kids will have the freedom to climb, swing and visit the lookout towers for a treetop view of the world.
From the tops of the trees down to the roots, visitors will be led through the earth to explore an underground world. A network of tunnels lets kids explore, challenge their fears and meet underground animals in their own habitats.
Our water-based zone near the café lets children play and learn how water gives life and the importance of conserving the environment. This area allows kids to become active in our mini stream, take a seat in our secret garden or be enchanted by some story telling in the tipi.
Our Touch Zone lets children get hands on to groom and feed our goats and sheep as well as meet our donkeys, llamas and kune-kune pigs.
Find out more about some of the inhabitants of Animal Adventure!
Children love animals. Virtually without exception. They always have done and they always will do.
So, how is it, because of the actions of the adults that those children grow into, that over a quarter of the world’s wildlife is threatened with extinction?
Somewhere along the line so many children lose that fascination, that sense of magic that comes from being around and among animals.
With the increasingly urban lives that so many children lead, it’s not so much a lack of desire to be with animals, though, as a lack of opportunity.
In 2009 ZSL London Zoo brought that opportunity back. Animal Adventure, our new children’s zoo, opened to provide thousands upon thousands of children with the chance to immerse themselves in the sights, sounds, smells and experiences of life in the animal kingdom.
Underground tunnels, treehouses, watery worlds and airy spaces, secretive aardvarks and curious coatis: all these and more make up a natural playground that fires children’s imaginations like never before.
It’s a dynamic environment for a dynamic generation.
Please adhere to the following rules when visiting Animal Adventure:
- Do not distress the animals by shouting, leaping about, tapping on the glass
- Do not feed the animals
- Do not climb over barriers
- CHILDREN must be supervised at all times
N.B. ZSL reserves the right to evict any visitor that breaks these rules.
Hazard, risks and controls - Animal Adventure
Hazard and risk: Dangerous animals - risk of being bitten or scratched
- Warning signs on enclosures
- Safety barriers in place where necessary
- Feeding of animals is prohibited
Hazard and risk: Contact with animals, risk of disease (zoonotic)
A zoonotic disease is any infectious disease that can be transmitted between animals to humans. Visitors are at greater risk if they are pregnant or if their immune system is not functioning properly. ZSL has a duty of care to ensure that these risks are minimised and have implemented the control measures (below)
- Regular faecal screening for ALL animals
- Excellent standards of animal husbandry
- Animals vaccinated and constantly monitored
- Rigorous pest control programme and monitoring in place
- Balai quarantine standards for new animal arrivals
- All Keeping staff are trained in best practice for section management.
In addition, we adhere to strict visitor hygiene rules issued by HSE and DEFRA which include:
- Hand-cleansing facilities (alcohol foam and soap/hot water) available in Animal Adventure, Clore Rainforest and Education Centre (ZSL London Zoo)
- Hand-cleansing facilities provided in Children’s Farm and In With The Lemurs
- Water in Splash Zone play area is chlorinated (ZSL London Zoo)
- Warning and advisory signs displayed
- Feeding the animals is prohibited
- If soap is unavailable in dispenser please make a member of ZSL staff aware, and use another available facility.
In the unlikely event that you DO become unwell after a visit to ZSL, please seek medical advice
Hazard and risk: Animal Adventure Splash Zone (ZSL London Zoo)
- Non slip surface in Animal Adventure Splash Zone (ZSL London Zoo)
Hazard and risk: Climbing on railings, fencing, walls, seating, raised garden areas, pillars, trees, posts, rocks and sculptures - risk of injury from falling
- Safety notice on trees, railings, fences etc. where relevant
Hazard and risk: General public - child welfare risk
- Lost Children's Post based at the Clock Tower (ZSL London Zoo), Estates Office (ZSL Whipsnade Zoo). First Aid Posts also at both of these locations.
- Staff trained in procedures in dealing with lost children
- Children should be supervised at all times.
Hazard and risk: Swings, climbing frames in children's play areas - risk of injury from falling
- Waterpour Safety Surface BS EN 1176 (ZSL London Zoo).
- Bark chips
- Supervision notices displayed around children’s play areas
- All London Zoo play equipment is for children ages between 3 and 11 years.
- Supervision in accordance with the recommended ratio is an expectation.
Hazard and risks: Free roaming animals – risk of bites and scratches
- Information notice boards about not feeding, touching, chasing animals
Hazard and risk: Animals being walked round the site
- Trained keepers leading the animal walks
- Animals walked calmly and quietly
- Animals trained and continuously monitored by staff
- No animal / visitor contact whilst walking