Walk onto the lemurs’ island in ZSL Whipsnade Zoo and get seriously close to our beautiful ring-tailed lemurs.
Enter via a bridge over the moat and then walk across the island to the waterfall area where a raised walkway will allow you to get a better view of the lemurs in their favourite spot - sunbathing in the sunshine.
A small viewing area is situated to the front of the enclosure where visitors can stop and watch these energetic primates leaping about, catching a bit of sun and maybe even having a stink fight!
They’ll run rings round you!
Adopt a lemur
A lemur adoption not only makes a unique gift idea for yourself or someone special, you will also be making a valid contribution to the running costs of ZSL Whipsnade Zoo. Find out more.
You can also buy our ZSL Mini Lemur cuddly toy.
Lemurs are unique in that they are found only on Madagascar, an island off the coast of Africa. Only 35 remain of over 50 known species and subspecies today read more.
Lemur rope walking
Watch this footage of our lemurs demonstrating their amazing balancing skills.
It is just one of the many videos in our new ZSL TV area.
True or false?
Read the information about Ring-tailed lemurs and then answer our fun quiz!
1. Lemur means ‘ghost’ in Latin
2. Ring-tailed lemurs have stink fights to fight over food
3. Ring-tailed lemurs are under threat from hunting, habitat destruction and microclimatic change
4. Ring-tailed lemurs spend all their time in trees
5. Ring-tailed lemurs have a back and white tail which is almost twice as long as its body