The UK Bushmeat Working Group (UKBWG) meets regularly to discuss trade in bushmeat, especially as affected by forestry issues and in the context of development, sustainable livelihoods and conservation.
The group is open to all representatives of key UK Government departments, the timber and other relevant industries, conservation and development NGOs and other national or international bodies and individuals with an interest in bushmeat issues. These include development agencies, conservation organisations, charities bringing relief and aid to tropical forest countries, human rights organisations, academic departments and training centres, and commercial, industrial and trade organisations, amongst others.
The UKBWG’s specific mandate is, with reference to trade in bushmeat in the context of development, conservation and sustainable livelihoods, to assist the exchange of information, to improve understanding, to build consensus through dialogue and debate and to disseminate the results as appropriate among its members and more widely through links to other organisations both within the UK and abroad.
The UKBWG was established in 1999 under the UK Tropical Forest Forum, an independent association created in 1990 in response to the growing concern within Britain for the future of tropical forests. In 2006, with funding from DEFRA, ZSL assumed responsibility for facilitating and administering the UKBWG, convening meetings and disseminating information to its members.
- Livelihood alternatives for the unsustainable use of bushmeat (2011)
- Conservation and use of wildlife based resources: the bushmeat crisis (2008)
- Assessment of recent bushmeat research and recommendations to Her Majesty's Government (2006)
- Bushmeat trade briefing paper for UK parliamentarians (2005)
UK Bushmeat Working Group: recent meeting reports
- Bushmeat meeting report: 21st March 2012 - Understanding bushmeat practices and changing behaviour (691.54 KB)
- Bushmeat meeting report: 14th June 2011 - Alternative livelihoods/foods (234.17 KB)
- Bushmeat meeting report: 20th January 2011 - Proposed work on bushmeat imports (258.75 KB)
- Bushmeat meeting report: 30th March 2010 - Wildlife management in timber concessions (158.87 KB)
- Bushmeat meeting report: 9th June 2009 - Bushmeat and livelihoods linkages (90.19 KB)
- Bushmeat meeting report: 24th April 2009 - Bushmeat trade from Africa to Europe (117.87 KB)