The Zoological Society of London's Library contains a unique collection of journals and books on zoology and animal conservation.
ZSL Library is open Monday-Friday, 9.30am-5.30pm. ZSL Library is closed on all public holidays and at weekends.
Founded in 1826, ZSL Library is one of the major zoological libraries in the world and is open to all. For access details please see 'Who can use the Library?'
ZSL Library contains a wide range of books and journals on all types of animals and their conservation. It has:
- more than 200,000 volumes
- 5,000 journal titles, 1,300 of which are current
- free wireless internet access
- photocopying facilities
- archives of ZSL
- books dating from 16th century to the present, ranging from popular to technical
- holdings located on-site
- modern books on open access in our Reading Room
- special collection relating to information on zoos
- The ZSL drawings and prints collection
- Image collection
- friendly service from specialist library staff.
The ZSL Library Catalogue can be viewed online with details of all serial holdings - most-pre-1860 books and books published from 1993 onwards can be found.
If you experience any problems with the catalogue please contact us.
Details of other books can be found in our card catalogue in the Reading Room.
Free Wi-Fi is available in ZSL Library
Free wireless internet access is now available in ZSL Library. To connect your laptop to the wireless network you simply need to request a password from the Library desk (the password will be changed on a weekly basis).
Please ask Library staff for further details when you next visit ZSL Library.
Artefact of the Month
Every month one of the pieces held in ZSL’s Library, ZSL London and at ZSL Whipsnade Zoos will feature here as ‘Artefact of the Month’, helping you to discover the historical wonders that ZSL has to offer.