When visiting ZSL Whipsnade Zoo by car there are two options:
- You may park in our free external car park with designated Accessible parking bays and push around the Zoo
- You may drive into the Zoo and park in specified areas around the Zoo (if you have a blue badge, essential car entry is free of charge).
An essential carer is also optional, free of charge, for you to enjoy the Zoo with the support that you need.
Please note ZSL Whipsnade Zoo is not a safari park.
Prices for additional tickets can be found here:
Information about parking can be found here:
There is an underpass that gets visitors from the external free car park to the entrance to the Zoo. This is ramped but is a steep ramp out of the underpass.
There is level ramp access to the following areas:
- All Animal indoor houses including Butterfly House and Aquarium
- Base Camp Restaurant and River Cottage Kitchen & Deli
- Birds of the World Arena to view the displays
- Hullabazoo indoor and outdoor play areas
- Hullabazoo Farm
- First Aid Point (next to the Visitor Centre)
- The steam train (Please note, two wheelchairs can be accommodated on the train per trip – due to Covid restrictions, the train is not running at the moment, please check before you visit if it is running to avoid disappointment)
- Owl Wood - Access may cause wheelchair users some difficulty, as it is covered by bark chippings in order to subdue the noise.
- Events marquee
We have a limited number of wheelchairs that are available for hire on a first-come, first-served basis and it is therefore advised to book them in advance of your visit by calling the Retail Shop on 01582 871517. A deposit of £25 is required which will be refunded on return of the wheelchair at the end of your visit.
The wheelchairs are non-motorised and are not self-propelling.
It is also possible to hire a mobility scooter, and again we'd recommend booking in advance of your visit. A mobility scooter will cost £20 to hire, plus a refundable deposit of £30.
There are multiple accessible toilets around our Zoo, currently we do not have a full Changing Place facility but we do have a changing area in the Butterfly House/Aquarium.
Wheelchair accessible toilets can be found at:
- Main entrance (RADAR key access; RADAR key available in shop if required)
- Lawn area before Butterfly House/Aquarium
- Tigers/Base Camp
- Reindeer/River Cottage
- Hippos/Africa Outpost
Penguin queue hopper pass
Great days out for everyone - Supporting families with additional needs, the Penguin Pass queue hopper gives families the opportunity to hop queues at the Zoo.
Get your Penguin Pass here:
There is no need to book your pass for ZSL Whipsnade Zoo, simply download & print the pass or download onto your phone for a more discreet option. We also have passes available to collect on arrival from our admissions team, please return your pass to the main Zoo Shop at the end of your visit.
Show your Penguin Pass to our team at admissions, retail or catering outlets and our walk-through exhibits. Our staff & volunteers will do their best to reduce your queueing time.
Hard to reach areas
Some substrates and paths around the Zoo can be difficult to manage in a wheelchair or if you have mobility issues. The key areas to note are:
Subway between external car park and entrance to the Zoo (please use your blue badge pass to gain car entry to the Zoo if needed)
Elephant car park – this is a loose substrate area and can be very bumpy
Elephant access from Indian Rhinos – this is a grassy path which during winter months can be prone to flooding.
Path from Base Camp to flamingos – this is a steep path if you are going up towards flamingos.
Owl wood – bark chip is down to minimise the noise for these animals that are sensitive to noise. Because of this, pushing on this substrate may be more difficult.
Hullabazoo outdoor play has the following accessible play equipment:
- Ramped sand play access
- Ramp bridge
- Water pump at height
- Accessible slide
- Flat accessible roundabout
- Sound play
- Wide carousel swing
- Quiet areas
Hullabazoo indoor play:
- Booking is required at the moment due to reduced capacity
- Play area is for 10 years and younger
- The toddler play area is accessible by wheelchair but all other areas are accessed by climbing apparatus.
- The café and seating area is fully accessible.
Micro trikes and pushchairs
Pushchairs and micro trikes are available to hire from the gift shop at the Zoo:
- The single buggies are £10 to hire and we take a £15 refundable deposit
- The double buggies are £15 to hire and we take a £15 refundable deposit
- Micro Trikes are available to hire for toddlers for just £10 (£15 refundable deposit applies)