ZSL Whipsnade Zoo is considered reasonably wheelchair friendly.
Free entry for one essential carer or free car entry into the Zoo is available per paying disabled adult visitor.
There is ramp access to the following areas:
- The Animal Houses.
- Base Camp Restaurant and River Cottage Kitchen & Deli
- The Sealion Arena and Bird Arena to view the displays
- Hullabazoo play areas and Hullabazoo Farm
- First Aid Point (next to the Visitor Centre)
- The free bus and steam train (Please note, two wheelchairs can be accommodated on the train per trip)
- Owl Wood - Access may cause wheelchair users some difficulty, as it is covered by bark chippings in order to subdue the noise.
We have a limited number of wheelchairs that are available for hire on a first-come, first-served basis and it is therefore advised to book them in advance of your visit by calling the Retail Shop on 01582 871517 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. A deposit of £25.00 is required which will be refunded on return of the wheelchair at the end of your visit.
The wheelchairs are non-motorised and are not self-propelling. They will fold to fit on the bus.
There are several accessible toilet facilities available around the Zoo:
- Visitor Centre
- Butterfly House
- Discovery Centre
- Africa Outpost
- Base Camp Restaurant
Assistance dogs are not currently permitted inside ZSL Whipsnade Zoo because some of our animals react negatively to their presence. We are working with Guide Dogs UK to resolve this and hope to be able to welcome dogs to certain areas of the Zoo in the future. In the meantime, please contact our support centre in advance of your visit to make alternative arrangements on 0344 225 1826 or email email@example.com to make alternative arrangements.