ZSL Whipsnade Zoo is considered reasonably wheelchair friendly.
Free entry for one essential carer or free car entry into the Zoo is available per paying disabled adult visitor.
There is ramp access to the following areas:
- The Animal Houses.
- The Wild Bite Café and Lookout Café.
- The Sealion Arena and Bird Arena to view the displays
- Hullabazoo and the Children's Farm
- The Estate Office (First Aid Point)
- The Safari bus and Road Train.
- Owl Wood - Access may cause wheelchair users some difficulty, as it is covered by bark chippings in order to subdue the noise.
- The Train - Please note that only two wheelchairs can be accommodated on the Train per trip.
We have wheelchairs that are available for hire and it is advised to book them in advance of your visit by calling the Retail Shop on 01582 871517 or emailing email@example.com. A deposit of £25.00 is required which will be refunded on return of the wheelchair at the end of your visit.
The wheelchairs are non-motorised and are not self-propelling. They will fold to fit on the Open Top Bus providing the user is able to mount the steps onto the bus. The Double Decker Safari Bus has a drop down access ramp.
There are several accessible toilet facilities available around the Zoo:
- Main entrance
- Butterfly House
- Discovery Centre
- Lookout Cafe
- Africa Outpost
- Wild Bite Cafe
Assistance dogs are not currently permitted inside ZSL Whipsnade Zoo because some of our animals react negatively to their presence. We are working with Guide Dogs UK to resolve this and hope to be able to welcome dogs to certain areas of the Zoo in the future. In the meantime, please contact our support centre in advance of your visit to make alternative arrangements on 0344 225 1826 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to make alternative arrangements.