Come face to face with the tallest mammal in the world at ZSL Whipsnade Zoo’s Giraffe platform! Our custom built enclosure offers a high level viewing platform, allowing you to get closer than ever to these amazing creatures.
You may see our giraffes grazing in their paddock, or they could be chilling in their revamped barn. Their newly extended barn comes with its own nine foot viewing area, with Giraffe Heights able to hold up to 300 visitors at a time.
Are you ready for some tall tales about these tall individuals?
- Giraffes have the same number of bones in the neck as we do – seven. Valves in neck prevent blood rushing to the head when they bend down to drink
- Babies stand at about two metres at birth - their horns lie flat at birth and pop up several days later
- Originally from Africa
- Giraffes eat mainly acacia leaves but also shoots fruits and other vegetation
Meet the Giraffes at ZSL Whipsnade Zoo
Get up close to the world's tallest animals with this special Meet the Giraffes experience.
£54 per person
Enjoy hand feeding our giraffes their lunch whilst an expert zoo keeper tells you about our giraffe herd, as well as some fascinating giraffe facts.
Meet the Giraffes experience includes:
- Meet and hand-feed our giraffes
- Meet an expert zoo keeper and discover more about our giraffes
- Kept to a maximum of six participants so you get quality time with the giraffes and zoo keeper
Please note that admission to ZSL Whipsnade Zoo is not included and must be purchased separately.
What to expect on the day
This 20 minute VIP experience begins with a health and safety briefing from our expert zoo keeper who will then take you to our special giraffe feeding area, which takes you up close to our giraffe herd. You will then help our zoo keeper hand feed the giraffe whilst learning more about this amazing species.
There will be a maximum of six people taking part in the experience, giving you lots of time with the giraffes and zoo keeper.
Tip: You will have plenty of opportunity to take some fantastic photographs so don’t forget to bring your camera!
Is this experience suitable for me?
Meet the Giraffes is available for adults and children over the age of 3 years old and at least 3-foot in height; however children under the age of 16 must be accompanied by a participating adult who also has a valid Meet the Giraffes experience ticket.
This experience is wheelchair accessible and guests with carers can get a carer ticket which lets carers enter the VIP area free of charge, but carers will not participate in the experience. To get a carer ticket please call 0344 225 1826.
Please note that pregnant or nursing mothers who have given birth within the previous six months cannot participate for health and safety reasons.
- Meet the Giraffes takes place at 12:15pm, daily from May through to October.
- £54 per person
Please note: ZSL members receive a 10% discount on this experience. Please call us to book on 0344 225 1826 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
How to book
- Book online here
- Call us on 0344 225 1826
We also offer Meet the Giraffes as a gift voucher. Please visit our online shop here to book as a gift for someone.
Know before you book
Important information before booking your Meet the Giraffes experience:
- Admission to the zoo is not included and must be purchased separately
- Participants must be 3 years of age or older and at least 3 feet tall to take part
- Children under the age of 16 must be accompanied by a participating adult guardian – each adult must also have a valid Meet the Giraffes ticket. No more than 2 children per adult
- Pregnant or nursing mothers who have given birth within the previous six months cannot participate
- Participants with learning or visual impairment must be accompanied by a carer. Accompanying carers can enter the VIP area free of charge but will not participate in the experience. Carers will need to get a carer ticket. Please call 0344 225 1826
- Wheelchair access is available for this experience. For more information please discuss with us when you book
- Appropriate closed toe footwear must be worn for the experience
- The experience itinerary, content, duration and availability are subject to change without notice
- Please arrive on time, we advise guests arrive at least 10 minutes before the experience begins
- The experience takes place outdoors so please check the weather on the day of your visist and dress accordingly
- Please see our full terms and conditions for more information
If you have any questions about booking please feel free to contact us.