Come face to face with the tallest mammal in the world at ZSL Whipsnade Zoo’s Giraffe platform! Our custom built enclosure offers a high level viewing platform, allowing you to get closer than ever to these amazing creatures.
You may see our giraffes grazing in their paddock, or they could be chilling in their revamped barn. Their newly extended barn comes with its own nine foot viewing area, with Giraffe Heights able to hold up to 300 visitors at a time.
Are you ready for some tall tales about these tall individuals?
- Giraffes have the same number of bones in the neck as we do – seven. Valves in neck prevent blood rushing to the head when they bend down to drink
- Babies stand at about two metres at birth - their horns lie flat at birth and pop up several days later
- Originally from Africa
- Giraffes eat mainly acacia leaves but also shoots fruits and other vegetation
Get up close and personal to one of the tallest mammals in the world with a special Meet the Animals experience.
From £54 per person
Hosted by an expert giraffe keeper, you'll get the chance to meet our tower of giraffes, learn all about the species and feed them a tasty snack!
This is a once in a lifetime experience and one you won't ever forget.
- Meet and feed one of our beautiful giraffes
- Discover more about this fascinating species
- Opportunity to ask our expert keeper questions about the group
- Meet the Giraffes takes place daily at 12.15pm, May - October. The experience lasts approximately 20 minutes.
- Please be at the meeting point at 12.05pm, located by the ground floor indoor viewing area of the giraffe house.
Terms and conditions
General admission ticket or valid membership per person must be purchased to be allowed entry into the zoo and take part in the Meet the Giraffes experience.
Please listen to the keeper at all times. (Your safety as well as the welfare of all animals is their upmost priority. As such, the keeper can stop the encounter or ask participants to exit the VIP area at any time should they feel necessary.)
Appropriate closed toe footwear must be worn for the experience.
Maximum of 6 participants per experience. Children: must be at least 3 years old, at least 3-foot in height and be accompanied by an adult, no more than 2 children per adult. Each adult must also have a valid Meet the Giraffes ticket.
Disabilities: Participants with learning or visual impairment must be accompanied by a carer who takes full responsibility for the adherence of health and safety and welfare protocols. Accompanying carers can enter the VIP area free of charge but must not participate in the experience. Wheelchair access is available for this experience.
Pregnant/ nursing mothers who have given birth within the previous six months cannot participate for health and safety reasons.
Cancellations: ZSL reserves the right to alter the experience or cancel on any given day if necessary. We will endeavour to contact you via email at least 24-hours before your visit to notify you of any changes. We recommend checking your emails on the day before your visit in case we have emailed you. If these changes result in you missing the encounter or you are no longer able to attend, please contact us to discuss options. Turning up late will invalidate your ticket and will not be refunded. Bookings cancelled up to 14 days before the date will be eligible for a full refund. Thereafter changes will only be accepted in exceptional circumstances at the discretion of ZSL.