Have you heard of the mountain chicken? It's not a chicken! Join us at the Zoo to find out all about the species and how we're working to protect it.
This large and Critically Endangered species of frog currently exists in the wild only on Dominica and Monsterrat.
Having once occupied a number of other islands, this species population has dramatically decreased by 90% over the space of 10 years (between 2002 and 2009). It faces a number of threats, including habitat destruction, hunting, volcanic activity and an outbreak of chytridiomycosis.
At ZSL London Zoo, we’re working to raise awareness of the mountain chicken and the actions being taken by organisations like ZSL to help to combat the decline.
Join us on 15 and 16 September 2018 to help us celebrate in a whole host of activities, including:
- Print your hand onto our papier mache frog to show your support for mountain chickens
- Paper activities such as mazes, crosswords and colouring in
- Colour in and make your own mountain chicken badge
- Listen in on our presenters talk on the mountain chicken and learn about their life cycle and threats
- Speak to the keepers and conservationists working to save mountain chicken frogs
All activities will be in the Reptile House, including a very special version of our 'The Weird and Wonderful' talk at 4pm. We hope to see you there!