As well as our extensive conservation field programmes and endangered species breeding work, ZSL is also working hard to improve the way we manage our Zoo sites to reduce negative environmental impacts and enhance ecological and social benefits. Find out more about what ZSL is doing at ZSL London Zoo as well as reading our environmental policy.
At ZSL London Zoo we are:
- Reducing our energy and fuel consumption by installing new condensing boilers, insulating our pipes and using electric vehicles on site.
- Using half the water we used in 2002 through improved management, fixing leaks and collecting rainwater into water butts and moats.
- Come and see our Waterwise garden to get some water-saving ideas of your own!
- Encouraging local wildlife to our site with woodland areas, ponds, logpiles and bird and bat nestboxes.
- Using ‘living’ roofs on some of our buildings to reduce runoff and attract plant and insect diversity - one of these roofs is on the Komodo dragon house!
- Demonstrating green ideas to visitors with signs around the site on how to protect the environment and conserve local wildlife.
- Encouraging staff and visitors to recycle more with recycling points all round the Zoo and behind the scenes - when you’re here, look on the Day Planner to find your nearest one!
- Achieving the ISO14001 international standard for the way we manage our environmental resources.
- Being awarded Gold in the Green Tourism for London Award Scheme in recognition of the work we’ve been doing.
- Participating in the Green 500 scheme in London, where we have achieved a Silver award for the achievements we have made.
- Promoting Fairtrade, organic, local and seasonal products in our Zoo shops and cafes.
- Receiving recognition from British and European zoo associations for the sustainability aspects of Gorilla Kingdom. This exhibit links to our field conservation and bushmeat research in Africa, uses FSC timber, and has improved habitats for locally threatened species such as the house sparrow, bats and dragonflies.
- Installing new bike racks at the Main Gate - Why not have a look at our How to find us page to find the greenest way to come and visit us!
For more information please see ZSL Environmental Policy May 2018.pdf (96.3 KB) (96.3 KB)