- 2011-Present: PhD candidate at the Institute of Zoology and at the ExCiteS (http://www.ucl.ac.uk/excites) research group at University College London. Supervised by Nathalie Pettorelli (IoZ), Muki Haklay (UCL – CEGE), Anthony Steed (UCL –CS)
- 2011: Six months internship at Mapping for Change (http://www.mappingforchange.org.uk/) as a junior web developer dealing with social media feeds
- 2007-2011: part time student at MSc GIMA (http://www.msc-gima.nl/). The final dissertation is a use case for the integration of geographical crowdsourced information in the semantic web (http://goo.gl/jfQYJs). The supervision for the dissertation has been provided by Aldo Gangemi ( Italian National Research Council) and Rob Lemmens (ITC, NL)
- 2001-2011: Several activities in the real estate design, development and maintenance industry in Catania
- 2003: Three months internship at the land use planning group at Wageningen University in the Netherlands (http://goo.gl/aqBO9i). Main duties consisted in the GIS data management and analysis for environmental related projects. The supervision of the internship has been provided by Gerrit-Jan Carsjens
- 1998-2003: Part time jobs supporting spatial planning related project at University of Catania. Main project leader of research projects Paolo La Greca
- 1991-2002: Master degree in Architectural engineering and spatial planning at the University of Catania
My main research interest is focused on the detection and measurements of socio-ecological systems. The research will explore a range of technologies to elicit from several sources the traces of cultural engagement for places. Traces of engagements can be found in the spontaneous behaviour of volunteers, citizen scientists poets and photographers. The analysis of digital content shared online in form of images, ecological observations and writings can drive to the detection of such socio-ecological systems and can be used as a tool to enhance planning and restoration efforts.