When you venture into Rainforest Life, you might be lucky enough to see our two-toed sloth family.
Sloths are wonderful mammals with some strange features that really make them stand out. Here are just a few curious facts:
- Sloths are the world’s slowest mammal, yet they’re not as lazy as you might think. Sloths sleep for around 15 hours a day while a tiger can nap up to 20 hours a day!
- A sloths’ internal organs, such as the heart, spleen, and liver are all arranged to accommodate living upside-down.
- Sloths don’t do well on the ground, as their weak hind legs mean they have to pull themselves along. However, their strong long arms make them excellent swimmers. They can even hold their breath for up to 40 minutes!
- Sloths have grooved fur that allows algae to grow through it. This green tint allows the sloth to blend into its habitat – and provides a tasty afternoon snack.
- The grip of a sloth is so strong that when they die they sometimes remain hanging on the trees.