This one-day workshop is aimed principally at advanced PhD students and early post-docs. The event will review the key skills and knowledge that can enhance prospects for establishing a career in conservation science. The day will be structured around a series of talks and tasks facilitated by experts in their field, designed to promote active learning experiences and maximise networking opportunities for all. Topics will include: applying for an academic position; understanding funding options; working outside academia; and building an online profile/disseminating research outputs. Delegates will have an opportunity to hear about the career paths of researchers who work both in and outside academia. The day will conclude with a short workshop on scientific writing, providing tips on how to choose among possible journals, and discussing the peer-review and publication process.
We are very sorry to announce that this event has been postponed, due to the uncertainty of the COVID-19 situation in the UK at this time. We will aim to host this event towards the end of 2020, and will announce the date in due course.
If you have already registered for this event, you will be receiving an email shortly and we will arrange a full refund. Thank you for your understanding, and please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
Facilitators will include:
- Dr Nathalie Pettorelli, Senior Research Fellow, Institute of Zoology, ZSL
- Dr Samuel Merson, Project Coordinator - Mongolia, Conservation & Policy, ZSL
- Dr Patricia Brekke, Research Fellow, Institute of Zoology, ZSL
- Dr Malcolm Nicoll, Senior Research Fellow, Institute of Zoology, ZSL
- Isla Watton, Soapbox Science Coordinator and Science Media Project Manager, Institute of Zoology, ZSL
- Dr Marcus Rowcliffe, Senior Research Fellow, Institute of Zoology, ZSL
- Dr Nick Askew, Founder and Director of Conservation Careers
- Venue: Huxley Lecture Theatre at the Meeting Rooms of the Zoological Society of London, Regents Park, NW1 4RY. See map.
- Underground: Camden Town Station; Nearest bus: no. 274.
- Contact Eleanor Darbey: Eleanor.Darbey@zsl.org; +44 (0) 207 449 6227.
- For press enquiries please contact the ZSL Press Office: email@example.com.
- Sign up to receive email updates about forthcoming ZSL Science and Conservation Events.
- Follow us on Twitter @ZSLScience to hear about new publications from our researchers, upcoming events and ZSL Wild Science podcast releases.