Dr. Helle Bernstorf Hydeskov
ECZM Resident in Wildlife Population Health
2015-present: ECZM Resident in Wildlife Population Health, Royal Veterinary College and Institute of Zoology, Zoological Society of London.
2015-2018: Master of Veterinary Medicine (MVetMed), Royal Veterinary College.
2015: Civil Veterinarian and Team Leader for World Vets on the humanitarian mission Continuing Promise 2015 (Colombia and Dominica).
2014-2015: Small animal rotating internship at the 404 Veterinary Emergency and Referral Hospital in Newmarket, Ontario, Canada.
2013: Veterinarian and Disaster Response Team Leader for World Vets in the Philippines following the typhoon Haiyan.
2013: Completed the American Veterinary Medical Association’s Educational Commission for Foreign Veterinary Graduates (ECFVG) certification program and the North American Veterinary Licensing Examination (NAVLE).
2012: Civil Veterinarian and Team Leader for World Vets on the humanitarian mission Pacific Partnership 2012 (Indonesia, the Philippines, Vietnam and Cambodia).
2011: Civil Veterinarian and Team Leader for World Vets on the humanitarian mission Continuing Promise 2011 (Jamaica, Peru, Ecuador, Colombia, Nicaragua, Guatemala, El Salvador, Costa Rica and Haiti).
2010-2011: Assistant Veterinarian at Copenhagen Zoo, Denmark.
2010: Veterinarian at the animal shelter “Dyreværnet”, Denmark.
2010-present: Member of the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons (MRCVS).
2004-2010: Master of Science (MSc) in Veterinary Medicine and Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM), Faculty of Life Sciences, University of Copenhagen, Denmark.
I’m interested in anything related to wildlife conservation but I have a special interest in research focusing on how infectious and non-infectious diseases can impact wildlife populations.
- Franklinos LHV, Rodriguez-Ramos Fernandez J, Hydeskov HB, Hopkins KP, Everest DJ, Cunningham AA, Lawson B (2018). Herpesvirus skin disease in free-living common frogs Rana temporaria in Great Britain. Diseases of Aquatic Organisms 129(3): 239-244. DOI: 10.3354/dao03246.
- Rutland BE, Byl KM, Hydeskov HB, Miniter B, Johnson CA (2017). Systemic manifestations of Cuterebra infection in dogs and cats: 42 cases (2000-2014). Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association 251(12): 1432-1438. DOI: 10.2460/javma.251.12.1432.
- Stagegaard J, Hørlyck A, Hydeskov HB, Bertelsen MF (2017). Ketamine-medetomidine and ketamine-medetomidine-midazolam anesthesia in captive cheetahs (Acinonyx jubatus) - Comparison of blood pressure and kidney blood flow. Journal of Zoo and Wildlife Medicine 48(2): 363-370. DOI: 10.1638/2016-0128R.1.
- Hydeskov H, Jayson S (2016). Concentrating on zoo and wildlife species. Veterinary Record 179(9): i-ii. DOI: 10.1136/vr.i4698.
- Hydeskov HB, Guardabassi L, Aalbæk B, Olsen KEP, Nielsen SS, Bertelsen MF (2013). Salmonella prevalence among reptiles in a zoo education setting. Zoonoses and Public Health 60(4): 291-295. DOI: 10.1111/j.1863-2378.2012.01521.x.
- Scientific Writing Experience at the European Association of Zoo and Wildlife Veterinarians 2010 Student Summer School [Participants: Eichelmann MA, Fischer D, Heilmann M, Hydeskov HB, Kunze M, Landaverde L, Leinweber I, Nielsen AMW, Pintus E, Reiners J, Risch T, Schroeder K, Schumann H, Soloperto S, Stötter M, Thielking M, Uccheddu S, Völkert H, Wehrmeister E. Instructor: Clauss M] (2012). Serum iron metabolites in an opportunistic sample of different captive primate species. International Zoo Yearbook 46(1): 195-200. DOI: 10.1111/j.1748-1090.2012.00172.x.