Science Communications and Events Manager
Eleanor is the Science Communications and Events Manager within the Institute of Zoology at ZSL. She organises, develops and delivers ZSL’s annual programme of free Science and Conservation Events and Symposia (both in person and online) from inception to completion, and helps curate the Stamford Raffles Lecture and awards ceremony. Eleanor also manages several science communication platforms for ZSL, including the Science Twitter and Facebook accounts, YouTube Channel, blogs, and hosts and produces the ZSL Wild Science Podcast. Eleanor has an undergraduate degree in Zoology from Cardiff University, and carried out conservation field research on primates in South Africa and Malawi during this and her Masters in Primate Conservation from Oxford Brookes University. Following this, she developed her skills as in event management and science communication and combines these two areas of expertise in her current position.
If you have an idea for a Science and Conservation event for our next annual programme starting in October 2021, or any questions about our events, social media and podcasts, please don't hesitate to get in touch.
- Apr 2021 - Present: Science Communications and Events Manager, Institute of Zoology, Zoological Society of London.
- Jan 2019 - Mar 2021: Scientific Events Coordinator, Institute of Zoology, Zoological Society of London.
- 2017 - 2019: Event Manager, HeadStart Events Limited.
- 2016 - 2017: MSc in Primate Conservation, Oxford Brookes University (Dist.).
- Included 3 month research project in Nyika National Parkl, Malawi as Principal Investigator surveying for Moloney's monkeys.
- 2014 - 2015: Animal Care & Administrative Volunteer, Wildlife Aid Foundation.
- 2010 - 2014: BSc in Zoology, Cardiff University, 1st class (Hons).
- Included 1 year research project as Primate Research Assistant in Lajuma Research Centre, South Africa, studying Samango monkey behaviour.
- Memberships: ZSL Wellbeing Champion; NCCPE's Public Engagement Professionals Network; London Public Programmers Group.
- Conferences: PCST 2020+1 (May 2021); Communicate 2020 (Nov 2020); 3 PSGB conferences during Nov 2016 - Jan 2017; presented poster at 2nd Get Published! University Student Research Conference, Oxford Brookes University in April 2017; and 7th EFP Meeting in Strasbourg, August 2017.
- Courses: Being Human masterclass: event promotion and the media (the School of Advanced Study); Evaluation: Developing your approach (NCCPE and University of the West of England); Become a Better Presenter: Improve your public speaking skills (Future Learn); Camera trap workshop (Dr Susan Cheyne); ZIMS workshop (Zak Showell, Twycross Zoo).
- IT: Extensive experience with Microsoft software, statistical programmes (R, SPSS) and mapping software (QGIS) for data analysis.
- External Interests: Wildlife art, photography and travelling.