3 years full tim
The Institute of Zoology, based at Regent’s Park, London, is the research arm of the Zoological Society of London (ZSL). Queen Mary (QMUL) and University College (UCL) are globally recognized universities located in close proximity to ZSL
We would like to appoint an experienced Research Technician for 3 years (fixed term) at full time to join a research group investigating the evolutionary genetics of ranaviruses. We are funded by the Natural Environment Research Council (NERC) to investigate the genetic mechanisms determining host range and virulence in this group of viruses. The ideal candidate will provide laboratory support for the project and be responsible for:
- a) isolation of ranaviruses from tissue samples using cell and tissue culture methods;
- b) assisting a post-doctoral researcher preparing genomic libraries for sequencing and sequencing on Illumina HiSeq and MiSeq platforms;
- c) shared management of Home Office licensed experiments;
- d) analysis of tissue samples generated from licensed work using qPCR, histopathology and SEM;
- e) assisting students with Home Office licensed procedures, and;
- f) management of the frozen archive of ranaviruses. Laboratory techniques including cell and tissue culture, DNA extractions, sequencing library preparations and operation of the MiSeq sequencing platform, real time PCR and data management are required. Experience with amphibian animal work would be advantageous, but not essential. There is the possibility to participate in field work at sites in Northern Spain and Portugal during the summer field season. The position is based at the Institute of Zoology, with some work at UCL, Bloomsbury and will be directly supervised by Dr. Trent Garner (IoZ) and cosupervised by Prof. Francois Balloux (UCL), Prof. Richard Nichols (QMUL) and Dr. Stephen Price (UCL/IoZ).
Candidates should have at least a BSc or equivalent in biological sciences, excellent skills in cell and tissue culture, molecular biology and the ability and willingness to perform Home Office licensed work.
For further information, please contact the HR Dept., ZSL, Regent’s Park, London NW1 4RY. Informal enquiries should be directed to Dr Trent Garner (email@example.com).
Interested candidates should email a cover letter, equal opportunities form and their CV, together with the names and addresses of two academic referees to the Human Resources Department (firstname.lastname@example.org) by 4th January 2015. Short-listed applicants will be invited for interview in late January and the successful applicant should expect to be in post 1st February 2015.