ZSL London Zoo’s Discovery and Learning department are looking for a Discovery & Learning Officer to join our team. The contract on offer is part-time working 1-2 days a week (Casual), fixed-term with a provisional start date of 2nd February 2015 and will last a minimum of 3 months.
Outline of Role:
The Discovery & Learning Officers will play a key role in delivering ZSL’s learning strategy and in doing so achieve the Society’s mission to raise awareness and inform visitors and other audiences about the natural world and associated conservation issues. The Discovery & Learning Officers will achieve through the development and delivery of a range of learning activity and events, for a variety of audiences, the principal audience being schools, but also includes FE, HE, adult learners, teachers and education professionals. The seasonal role will assist with the delivery of education sessions during ZSL London Zoo’s busiest time for school visits. There will be additional project work which will link into the Zoo’s events calendar and involve working with various different departments in ZSL.
The ideal candidate will be able to demonstrate the following criteria:
- Experience of teaching in either a formal or informal education setting.
- Experience of developing high quality, innovative learning activities/events to meet specific learning outcomes and audience needs.
- Experience of working with children and communicating to a wide range of audiences.
- Experience working in a zoo, aquarium, museum or other animal related environment.
- Ability to carry out and demonstrate to others correct animal husbandry and management skills for handling collections.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to learning new skills and information within a strict time limit e.g. performance skills, handling different animals, working with different departments in ZSL.
- Available to work some evenings and weekends and Bank Holidays.
- Able to work in an outdoor environment and in all weather conditions.
Applicants should complete a ZSL application form, equality of opportunity monitoring form and also send a CV and Covering Letter stating why you think you are suitable for the role addressing the stated criteria by email to ZSL’s HR Department - email@example.com.
Applications for this position close on Monday 5th January 2015. Interviews will likely fall on the following week (W/C 12th January 2015 with the successful candidate starting the post 2nd February 2015).
N.B: If you would like to receive a copy of the full job description please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Full job description: