ZSL Whipsnade Zoo’s Discovery and Learning department are looking for a Discovery & Learning Officer to join our team on a 12 month fixed term contract.
The Discovery & Learning Officer will play a key role in delivering ZSL’s learning strategy and in doing so achieve the Society’s mission to raise awareness and inform visitors and other audiences about the natural world and associated conservation issues. The Discovery & Learning Officer will achieve through the development and delivery of a range of learning activity and events, for a variety of audiences, the principal audience being schools, but also includes FE, HE, adult learners, teachers and education professionals. The role will assist with the delivery of education sessions and there will be additional project work which will link into the Zoo’s events calendar and involve working with various different departments in ZSL.
The ideal candidate will be able to demonstrate the following criteria:
- Experience of teaching in either a formal or informal education setting
- Experience of developing high quality, innovative learning activities/events to meet specific learning outcomes and audience needs
- Experience of working with children and communicating to a wide range of audiences
- Experience working in a zoo, aquarium, museum or other animal related environment
- Ability to carry out and demonstrate to others correct animal husbandry and management skills for handling collections
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to learning new skills and information within a strict time limit e.g. performance skills, handling different animals, working with different departments in ZSL
- Available to work some evenings and weekends and Bank Holidays to meet the needs of the business.
- Able to work in an outdoor environment and in all weather conditions
Applicants should send separately a completed application form, equality of opportunity monitoring form and a covering letter addressing the stated criteria by email to: email@example.com
Applications for this position close on Thursday 11th December at 5pm.
Interviews will be on Thursday 18th December at ZSL Whipsnade Zoo.