The Tanzania cheetah watch
As well as the scientific work, we are using 'Cheetah Watch' leaflets to persuade tourists in Tanzania to send us their photos of cheetahs, which can be matched with spot pattern records and used to monitor cheetah population size across Tanzania.
- For further information please download the full
- ZSL’s Sarah Durant manages the Cheetah and carnivore conservation project
Partners & Sponsors
- National Carnivore conservation Centre
- Tanzania Wildlife Research Institute (TAWIRI)
- Tanzania National Parks (TANAPA)
2014: Nick Mitchell, who is the eastern African co-ordinator of the Rangewide Conservation Programme for Cheetah and African Wild Dogs, a joint project of the Zoological Society of London and the Wildlife Conservation Society, recently contributed to a new report on the illegal trade affecting African Cheetahs presented at a recent meeting of the Convention on the Trade in Endangered Species (CITES). Mitchell has been quoted in the Guardian, explaining how the report’s findings will be addressed in the future and why urgent action is required to save sub-populations which may disappear in the next few years.