As the UK’s largest zoo, set across 600-acres atop the Dunstable Downs, Whipsnade has so much to offer parents and pre-schoolers.
Home to more than 10,000 animals, ranging from brightly coloured butterflies to gigantic elephants, your little one will love spotting their favourites as they embark on an adventure like no other at Whipsnade. Here’s our top tips for a great day out with your wild child.
- You’ll begin your day at the ZSL Whipsnade Zoo visitor centre. With a coffee bar serving up a delicious range of hot drinks and food, it’s the perfect place for a snack stop and potty-break.
The gift shop is also here – it can get busy towards the end of the day, so why not have a quick browse at our educational and engaging zoovenirs or pick up a Zoo Guidebook before setting off on your day.
- First up, no zoo visit is complete with a p-p-p-peek at the penguins. Whipsnade Zoo is home to two different types of penguins, African black-footed and rockhopper penguins.
These flightless birds provide endless giggles with their comical waddles – can your little one stick out their hands and do a penguin impression?
- Whipsnade’s Aquarium is a must-see for all, especially children. The only Aquarium dedicated to the conservation of freshwater fish, the floor-to-ceiling tanks, mesmerising projections on the floor and sounds of bubbling water provide a unique sensory experience.
Fish are excellent at playing hide and seek – it’s how they protect themselves from predators. See how many fish you can spot hiding inside shells or behind sea plants.
- Once you’ve resurfaced from Whipsnade’s underwater world, it’s time to embark on a tropical adventure in the Butterfly House. Look out for the very hungry caterpillars hanging in their cocoons in our interactive metamorphosis zone, waiting to emerge as beautiful butterflies.
Keep your eyes peeled for our West African dwarf crocodiles. Little ones can get an up-close view of the miniature crocs who may be basking on land or lurking in their underwater home.
- Around now, you’re probably getting hungry yourselves and ready for feeding time at the zoo. Our restaurants and food outlets serve a variety of food options, or if you’d prefer to bring your own, we’ve got plenty of picnic areas dotted around the zoo.
At the Base Camp Restaurant we’ve made life easy for you. Order and pay via your phone, and we will bring your food to you – all you have to do is choose what you’re going to eat.
- Energy levels restored, it’s time for some more fun! Whipsnade Zoo’s Hullabazoo Adventure Playground is the ideal spot for pre-schoolers to go wild. With rope bridges, swings, tunnels and a sand park they’ll be able to embrace their inner-monkey and clamber away!
- Home to massive elephants, powerful rhinos and towering giraffes, you’ll be sure to make a big impression on your little one’s day, by introducing them to Whipsnade’s largest animals.
Our herd of Asian elephants are a family group – and while our toddlers are a little bigger than yours, their playful nature isn’t that much different.
We’re sure that you’ll want to come back again, so why not check out our Zoo Membership? You can visit us at Whipsnade as often as you like, and our sister site at, ZSL London Zoo and be the first to know about future events and promotions.
- If you're not a Member, Patron or Fellow of ZSL, you must pre-book your visit, including for your little one. While those under three are free, pre-booking their ticket helps us to manage the numbers on site and ensure you can have a great day out.
- You can drive your car around Whipsnade Zoo – perfect if you’re worried about your little one’s legs (or your own!). Just drive up to the gate and pay an additional fee on arrival.
- There are lots of secluded benches and areas around the zoo where you can feed your little one in peace, or simply take some time out for a moment.
- Whipsnade Zoo has its own indoor soft play zone! Book online for Hullabazoo Indoor Play the day before your visit to secure your time slot.
Fancy a whole year of wonder-full days out for the whole family?
Pop in again and again all year round with free entry to the Zoo by becoming a Zoo member. Plan plenty of great days out for your family this summer to create memories that last a lifetime.
Select a blog
Our people are our greatest asset and we realise our vision for a world where wildlife thrives through their ideas, skills and passion. An inspired, informed and empowered community of people work, study and volunteer together at ZSL.
At ZSL, a key area of our work is the employment of Nature-based Solutions – an approach which both adapt to and mitigates the impacts of climate change. These Solutions, which include habitat protection and restoration, are low-cost yet high-impact, and provide multiple benefits to people and wildlife. We ensure that biodiversity recovery is at the heart of nature-based solutions.
A blog for lovers of ZSL London Zoo, bringing you extraordinary animal facts and exclusive access to the world's oldest scientific zoo.
Do you love wildlife? Discover more about our amazing animals at the UK's biggest zoo!
We're working around the world to conserve animals and their habitats, find out more about our latest achievements.
From the field to the lab, catch up with the scientists on the cutting edge of conservation biology at ZSL’s Institute of Zoology.
A day in Discovery and Learning at ZSL is never dull! The team tell us all about the exciting sessions for school children, as well as work further afield.
Every month, one of the pieces held in ZSL’s Library and at ZSL Whipsnade Zoo will feature here as Artefact of the Month.
Read testimonials from our Members and extracts from ZSL's award winning members' magazine, Wild About.
ZSL works across Asia, from the famous national parks of Nepal to marine protected areas in the Philippines. Read the latest updates on our conservation.
An Open Access journal for research at the interface of remote sensing, ecology and conservation.