In just one weeks’ time hundreds of fearless fundraisers will take on the ZSL London Zoo Stampede, raising vital funds for wildlife conservation.
Our 10k and 5k route will see runners race around the Zoo and Regent’s Park on 17 September, cheered on by family and friends.
One man who’s no stranger to the racetrack and recently completed the Ultra-Trail du Mant-Blanc is ZSL London Zoo senior keeper Marcel Mckinley.
Here's his top 10 tips for your first 10k race
- Run regularly in the lead up to your race, between 3-6 times a week.
- Get a running buddy to help motivate you in the final weeks, if you need company.
- Stay hydrated, make sure you're drinking a lot of water every day during your training.
- Don’t worry about missing the odd training day.
- Make sure you’ve done some running in the outfit you’re planning on wearing during the race so you don’t get any unexpected rubbing. chafing etc.
- Eat right – don’t introduce new foods to your diet in the days before your race, stick to what you know.
- Do a warm-up before the run and stretch, stretch, stretch after you race, your body will thank you for it later. It will also help improve your flexibility.
- Have an early breakfast on the day of your race.
- Keep your fundraising target in mind on the day to help motivate you during the race.
- Remember why you started running in the first place - because it's fun. Push yourself – you can do it!
If you haven’t already, there’s still time to sign up to the ZSL London Zoo Stampede on 17 September.
Select a blog
A blog for lovers of ZSL London Zoo, bringing you extraordinary animal facts and exclusive access to the world's oldest scientific zoo.
Do you love wildlife? Discover more about our amazing animals at the UK's biggest zoo!
We're working around the world to conserve animals and their habitats, find out more about our latest achievements.
From the field to the lab, catch up with the scientists on the cutting edge of conservation biology at ZSL’s Institute of Zoology.
A day in Discovery and Learning at ZSL is never dull! The team tell us all about the exciting sessions for school children, as well as work further afield.
Ever wondered what a typical day as a zookeeper looks like, or what it's like to be a videographer at ZSL? Now you can find out!
Every month, one of the pieces held in ZSL’s Library and at ZSL Whipsnade Zoo will feature here as Artefact of the Month.
Read extracts from ZSL's award winning members' magazine, Wild About.
Get updates on our latest ranges, be the first to hear about special offers, and find the perfect gift for animal lovers!
The Chagos archipelago is a rare haven for marine biodiversity. Hear from the team about our projects to protect the environments in the British Indian Ocean Territory (BIOT).
ZSL works across Asia, from the famous national parks of Nepal to marine protected areas in the Philippines. Read the latest updates on our conservation.
An Open Access journal for research at the interface of remote sensing, ecology and conservation.