Two Acting Team Leader/ Grounds Operative are required to provide support to the facilities management team. The post holders will be responsible for carrying out a range of grounds operative service tasks throughout the London Zoo. You will also need to be comfortable issuing instructions to staff and responding to issues as they arise as there will be times when you will be required to deputise for the Team Leader and Deputy Team Leader as part of the split shift system. Working hours are on a shift system in which the hours will vary between 7am to 7pm and will include the need to cover alternate weekends and bank holidays. Candidates must ensure they can commit to the hours above throughout the working week. (Morning shift 7am – 3:30pm / Evening shift: 11:30 – 7pm).
You must have a Full Valid Driver’s Licence as the position will require driving a range of utility vehicles around the zoo to support the team complete daily objectives set. If you have worked as a grounds operative or in a maintenance based position with experience of manual handling this would be an advantage, but is not essential. You will need to be a good communicator, both orally and in writing, with experience of dealing with the public.
- Deputise for the Team and Deputy Team Leader as part of the split shift system.
- Drive utility vehicles, cars and vans sometimes on & off-site.
- Undergo litter picking and support with preparation/presentation of events/functions.
- Interact with visitors by answering questions they may have whilst promoting high standards of customer care.
- Ability to carry out heavy lifting as there is potentially a large amount of manual handling required.
- Ensure that waste bins, site signage, picnic and person benches are clean and tidy.
- Oversee some non-ZSL personnel whilst on site.
- Experience working within maintenance or in a grounds operative position.
- Proven record of attendance and punctuality.
- Ability to work as a team and be willing to undertake a wide variety of duties.
- Ability to communicate in a sensitive, courteous manner with parents, staff and the general public. (Must have a basic level of literacy).
- Full Valid Driver’s Licence (Essential).
Applicants should complete a ZSL Application Form and Equality and Opportunity Monitoring form then send by email to ZSL’s HR Department - email@example.com.
- Applications for this position close on Midnight Thursday 22nd January 2015.
- Interviews will likely fall on the following week (W/C 26th January 2015).
- Anticipated Start Date: 2nd March 2015.