Data, evidence, theories and explanations: how interpretation of data and using creative thought provides evidence to test ideas and develop theories Students will investigate how and why different methods of classification are used. Using this hands on toolkit, students will classify different species through examination of objects from the natural world.
Age group: KS5
Learning Space: Classroom (Griffin Room)
Data, evidence, theories and explanations: how interpretation of data and using creative thought provides evidence to test ideas and develop theories
How explanations of many phenomena can be developed using scientific theories, models and ideas
Practical and enquiry skills: plan to test a scientific idea, answer a scientific question, or solve a scientific problem, work accurately and safely, individually and with others, when collecting first-hand data, evaluate collection of data and consider their validity and reliability as evidence
Communication skills: recall, analyse, interpret, apply and question scientific information or ideas, present information, develop an argument and draw a conclusion, using scientific language
Applications and implications of science: the use of scientific developments and their benefits and drawbacks, consider how and why decisions about science are made, how uncertainties in scientific knowledge and scientific ideas change over time and about the role of the scientific community in validating these changes
Intended learning outcomes:
- Students will be able to describe how and why we classify species in the natural world
- Students will work in groups to determine the lineage of a range of species using a classification toolkit
- Students will demonstrate the different techniques used in classifying species
For this session
Before your visit:
- Have a group discussion about why we classify different groups of animals.
- Investigate how science changes with technology – DNA fingerprinting
While at the Zoo:
|Animal||Location (map ref.)|
|Green tree python||Discovery centre 3C|
|Sealion||Sealion Splash 3C|
- Talk about all of the different species that you saw on your zoo visit, in groups, classify all of the different species using the systems discussed in your zoo session.
- Each group can be given a different species and can present their findings to the rest of the class.