ZSL Special Children's Day will be running this year for the first time at ZSL Whipsnade Zoo - welcoming children with special needs and their familes and friends.
With increased specialist facilities and number of staff, as well as special 'interactive events' and discounted entry, Special Children's Day is an exciting and exceptional event not to be missed.
Please note that tickets for ZSL Special Children’s Day are limited – please book early to avoid disappointment
ZSL Special Children's Day voted 'Best Education Project: Public and General Visitor at BIAZA Annual Awards 2012
DisabledGo have created a comprehensive disabled access guide for ZSL Whipsnade Zoo. Read their disabled access guide
- A Very Special Welcome:
Pick up your Special Children’s Day day-planner and exclusive discount voucher for the shop. There are friendly zoo characters to meet and The Dixie Swing Band to dance too. Staff & Volunteers will be at hand to assist you as your fun day gets underway!
- Meet the Keepers: Meet some of our fantastic Keepers and the animals they look after
- Wildlife Gardening: Plant a seed to take back with you and grow at home, or build a mini-beast hotel to attract wildlife into gardens
- Singing Hands: Come and join Helen and Vanessa from Singing Hands as they introduce you to the amazing world of animals through Makaton themed signs, songs, rhymes, stories and games. Shows are free and run throughout the day.
- The 'Discovery Zone’: get hands on and learn all about objects from the natural world
- Animal Feeds & Displays: Our amazing animal feeds & talks will be accompanied by British Sign Language interpreters throughout the weekend
- Sensory & Signed Story Time: Interactive stories about the natural world. Shows are free and run throughout the day and all are welcome!
- Arts & Craft Zone: Make your own animal badge and coasters or get creative with our resident artists
- NEW FOR 2014: Hullabazoo Farm
- Additional friendly staff and volunteers on hand to assist
- Additional facilities, including hoists, accessible toilet units & respite areas for families
- Dedicated information, first aid & lost children's post
- Charity Hub: an onsite hub where charities will be on hand to offer guidance, advise and networking opportunities for families
- Free all day parking for blue badge holders in the main car park
- Parking: Parking for Special Children’s Day will be the Zoo’s main car park. The entrance ot the Zoo is a 5 minute walk.
We have a designated special welcome and entrance for Special Children's Day ticket holders, as well as unique events for you all, however please note that the Zoo is open as per normal during this day. We are proud that everyone can soak up the atmosphere and enjoy a great day out together.