In Fairy Tales Tour students will visit animal enclosures to try to spot real animals from familiar fairy tales. Pupils will join in with storytelling and use their investigation skills to discover facts about their favourite stories and songs.
Please note that this session takes place outdoors and is a walking tour
Key Stage: EYFS
Duration: 30 minutes
Capacity: 35 students
Early Years Framework Links:
Communication and Language
- Listening and Attention
Intended Learning Outcomes:
Pupils will be able to:
- Identify a real zoo animal featured in a fairy tale
- Listen and respond with appropriatelyrelevant comments and questions
- Add and subtract single digit numbers to compare the number of animals in an enclosure to those in the original fairy tale
For this session
Before your visit:
- Familiarise your class with common animal fairy tales including the three little pigs, Goldie Locks and the Three Bears and Little Red Riding Hood.
While at the zoo:
- During the tour you may visit animals based in the Europe area of the zoo, to avoid covering the same ground twice it may be worth visiting the animals in Base Camp, Africa or Asia before your tour
After your visit:
- Re-tell a fairy tale from another perspective, such as the Big Friendly Wolf, using the information that you discovered at the zoo.
- Make masks for your characters
- Act out your story for the rest of the school