Special Children's Day is a unique annual event at ZSL London Zoo welcoming children with special needs and their families and friends. With increased specialist facilities and number of staff, as well as special 'interactive events' and discounted entry, Special Children's Day is an exciting and exceptional event not to be missed.
This event is now in the past.
Tickets are still available for Special Children’s Day at ZSL Whipsnade Zoo on Saturday 7th June.
ZSL Special Children's Day voted 'Best Education Project: Public and General Visitor at BIAZA Annual Awards 2012
ZSL Special Children's Day includes the whole of ZSL London Zoo with the largest collection of animals anywhere in the UK
- A Very Special Welcome: Pick up your Special Children’s Day day-planner and exclusive discount voucher. There are friendly zoo characters to meet and The Dixie Swing Band to dance too! Staff & Volunteers will be at hand to assist you as your fun day gets underway!
- New for 2014 - Meet the Keepers: Meet some of our fantastic Keepers and the animals they look after
- New for 2014 – Wildlife Gardening: Plant a seed to take back with you and grow at home, or build a mini-beast hotel to attract wildlife into gardens
- New for 2014 – Pygmy Hippos @ Into Africa
- Singing Hands: Meet Suzanne & Tracy in person as they introduce you to the amazing world of animals through Makaton themed signs, songs, rhymes, stories and games. Shows are free and run throughout the day
- The 'Discovery Zone’: Includes hands-on activities and a chill out zone, meet live animals and discover all about the natural world (The Discovery Zone has been developed in collaboration with the National Autistic Society. ZSL staff have attended autism awareness sessions delivered by the NAS, who will be present on the day).
- Animal Feeds & Displays: Our amazing animal feeds & talks will be accompanied by British Sign Language interpreters throughout the weekend
- Rainforest Experience Our amazing sensory experience for children with sight impairment in London's only living rainforest.(Please note this special experience is free but pre-booked only with limited capacity). For more details and to book please email: email@example.com
- Animal Adventure: Meet some of our fantastic animals and Keepers, get close up and hands on in the 'Touch Paddock', or play in the splash zone, secret garden and tunnels.
- Arts & Craft Zone: Make your own badge or treats and toys for our animals, or get creative with our resident artists
- Sensory Storytelling Events: Interactive stories about the natural world. Shows are free and run throughout the day and all are welcome!
- Additional friendly staff and volunteers on hand to assist
- Additional facilities, including hoists, accessible toilet units & respite areas for families
- Dedicated first aid & lost children's post with qualified staff
- Charity Hub: an onsite hub where charities will be on hand to offer guidance, advise and networking opportunities for families
- Coach Parking: A designated drop off and pick up point for large coaches at the Special Children’s Day entrance
- Free all day parking for blue badge holders in the main ZSL car park
We have a designated special welcome and entrance for Special Children's Day ticket holders, as well as unique events for you all; however please note that ZSL London Zoo is open as per normal during this event. We are proud that everyone can soak up the atmosphere and enjoy a great day out together.