- 2013-Present: PhD candidate at the Institute of Zoology and University College London. Supervised by Nathalie Pettorelli (IoZ), Heather Koldewey (CP), Julian Thompson (UCL), and Jurgenne Primavera (CP). Funded by UCL Beams Impact Award.
- 2013: 6 month MSc project on carnivore home range size patterns. Supervised by Nathalie Pettorelli (IoZ), Erlend Nilsen (Norwegian Institute for Nature Research, Trondeim), John Linnell (Norwegian Institute for Nature Research, Trondheim), and David Orme (Imperial College, London).
- 2012-2013: MSc in Ecology, Evolution and Conservation at Imperial College, London.
- 2012: 6 month research internship on ungulate population dynamics modelling under climate change. Supervised by Nathalie Pettorelli (IoZ). Funded by the Vodafone World of Difference Award.
- 2011-2012: 6 month research internship at the Institute of Zoology working on the Sampled Red List Index and wildlife comeback in Europe.
- 2007-2010: BSc in Environmental Biology at the University of Nottingham.
My main research interests lie in the impacts of processes of global environmental change, and specifically climate change, on ecological systems, and in developing effective conservation strategies in the face of these challenges. My PhD project focuses on assessing the success of conservation projects targeted at restoring and protecting mangrove forests in facilitating ecosystem function into the future under changes in global climatic conditions. My PhD will apply multi-disciplinary approaches to assess the functioning of mangrove forests through time, combining field- and satellite-based monitoring techniques. For further details on my PhD project click here .
UCL Beams Impact Award PhD Studentship
Rufford Small Grant for Nature Conservation - project website
Duncan, C., Chauvenet, A. L. M., Brown, M., Tucker, C. J. & Pettorelli, N. (submitted) Energy availability, spatiotemporal variability, and its implications for animal ecology. Diversity and Distributions.
Duncan, C., Nilsen, E. B., Linnell, J. D. C. & Pettorelli, N. (submitted) Resource dynamics and life history attributes determine home-range sizes in Carnivora. Proceedings of the Royal Society B - Biological Sciences.
Duncan, C., Kretz, D., Wegmann, M., Rabeil, T. & Pettorelli, N. (2014) Oil in the Sahara: mapping anthropogenic threats to Saharan biodiversity from space. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B - Biological Sciences, 369, 20130191.
Duncan, C., Chauvenet, A. L. M., McRae, L. & Pettorelli, N. (2012) Predicting the future impact of droughts on ungulate populations in arid and semi-arid environments. PloS ONE, 7, e51490.
Deinet, S., Böhm, M., Price, V., Duncan, C., Offord, S., McRae, L., Hill, P. & Collen, B. (2013) Wildlife comeback in Europe: an overview of changes in abundance and distribution of selected wildlife species in Europe for the period 1960-2010. Final report submitted to the Rewilding Europe Initiative.