Dr Nathalie Pettorelli
Institute Research Fellow
* Committee on Earth Observation Systems (CEOS) Biodiversity Steering Committee Member
* IUCN Mangrove Specialist Group Member
* Invited lecturer at the Global Change Ecology Master Programme , Bayreuth, Germany
* GEO BON Member
* Honorary Lecturer position, University College London (UCL)
* CEE Steering Committee member
* ZSL climate change coordinator & Conservation Committee member
* Animove organizer and lecturer
* Research fellow at the Institute of Zoology
* June 2010: L'Oréal UK and Ireland Fellowship for Women in Science
* August 2009 - November 2009: Secondment at the World Conservation Monitoring Centre (UNEP-WCMC), Cambridge, to work on REDD issues.
* April 2006 - March 2009: Postdoctoral Research Assistant at the Institute of Zoology
* September 2005 - March 2006: Postdoctoral position at the University Laval, Québec, under the supervision of Steeve Coté and Jean Huot (Chaire CRSNG – Produits forestiers Anticosti).
* December 2003 - August 2005: European Fellowship (Marie Curie) for a two-year proposal entitled “Coupling vegetation dynamics and deer performance in Norway and France” at the University of Oslo, with Atle Mysterud and Nils Chr. Stenseth.
* December 2002 - November 2003: Lavoisier Fellowship (Ministry of Foreign Affairs, France) for a one-year proposal entitled “Coupling phenology and red deer body mass in the West Coast of Norway” at the University of Oslo, with Atle Mysterud and Nils Chr. Stenseth.
* 1999 - 2002: Ph.D. Thesis “Individual variability and population dynamics: the importance of space”, with J.M. Gaillard (UMR CNRS 5558, University of Lyon).
I head the Environmental Monitoring and Conservation Modelling (EMCM) team, which is interested in developing tools and methodologies supporting the sustainable management of natural resources. My own research is about assessing and predicting the impacts of global environmental change on biodiversity and ecosystem services, with a particular focus on climate change; the aim is to conduct high quality, innovative and internationally recognized research through a multi-disciplinary approach involving statistics, remote sensing and programming. Extensive experience with remote sensing data and its usefulness in ecology and conservation drives my interest in promoting a better integration of satellite-based data in global monitoring programs.
I am the co-founder of Soapbox Science
, an initiative which organizes public science communication events that brings cutting-edge science to the public, in an accessible, fun, free and un-intimidating way.
Meet the team
I have supervised, and currently supervise, several BSc, MSc, PhD and post-doc students
, who are carrying research all over the world.
My first book "en solo", entitled "The Normalised Difference Vegetation Index: principles & ecological applications" is out
We are working hard on the "Satellite remote sensing for biodiversity research and conservation applications" theme issue of Philosophical Transactions B, which is guest edited by me, Kamran Safi, Woody Turner and Stefan Dech. The issue should be out early 2014, on time for our ZSL symposium on Remote Sensing for Conservation
Animove was featured in a recent IUCN blog , described as a "a ground-breaking capacity-building contribution"
Our recent contribution in Ecology Letters on fences was featured in Nature this month
Our article on mangrove degradation was covered by the Guardian
Our edited book
is also out!
Durant, Bashir, Woodroffe, Wacher, De Ornellas, Ransom, Newby , Abáigar , Abdelgadir, El Alqamy , Baillie, Beddiaf , Belbachir, Belbachir-Bazi, Berbash, Bemadjim , Beudels-Jamar, Boitani, Breitenmoser, Cano, Chardonnet, Collen, Cornforth, Cuzin, Gerngross, Haddane, Hadjeloum, Jacobson, Jebali, Lamarque, Mallon, Minkowski, Monfort, Ndoassal, Niagate, Purchase, Samaïla, Samna, Sillero-Zubiri, Soultan, Stanley Price & Pettorelli (2013) Fiddling in biodiversity hotspots while deserts burn? Collapse of the Sahara’s megafauna. Diversity & Distribution, in press
Williams, D., Pettorelli, N., Henschel, J., Cowlishaw, G. & Douglas, C.M.S. (2013) Impact of alien trees on mammal distributions along an ephemeral river in the Namib Desert. African Journal of Ecology, in press
Chauvenet, A.L.M., Ewen, J.G., Armstrong, D. & Pettorelli, N. (2013) Saving the hihi under climate change: a case for assisted colonisation. Journal of Applied Ecology, in press
Creel, S., Becker, M., Durant, S., Msoka, J., Matandiko, W., Dickman, A., Christianson, D., Droge, E., Mweetwa, T., Pettorelli, N., Rosenblatt, E., Schuette, P., Woodroffe, R., Bashir, S., Beudels-Jamar, R., Blake, S., Borner, M., Breitenmoser, C., Broekhuis, F., Cozzi, G., Davenport, T., Deutsch, J., Dollar, L., Dolrenry, S., Douglas-Hamilton, I., Fitzherbert, E., Foley, C., Hazzah, L., Henschel, P., Hilborn, R., Hopcraft, G., Ikanda, D., Jacobsen, A., Joubert, B., Joubert, D., Kelly, M., Lichtenfeld, L., Mace, G., Milanzi, J., Mitchell, N., Msuha, M., Muir, R., Nyahongo, J., Pimm, S., Purchase, G., Schenck, C., Sillero-Zubiri, C., Sinclair, A., Songorwa, A., Stanley-Price, M., Tehou, A., Trout, C., Wall, J., Wittemyer, G. & Zimmermann, A. (2013) Conserving large populations of lions – the argument for fences has holes. Ecology Letters, in press
Pereira, H.M., Ferrier, S., Walters, M., Geller, G.N., Jongman, R.H.G., Scholes, R.J., Bruford, M.W., Brummitt, N., Butchart, S.H.M., Cardoso, A.C., Coops, N.C., Dulloo, E., Faith, D.P., Freyhof, J., Gregory, R.D., Heip, C., Höft, R., Hurtt, G., Jetz, W., Karp, D., McGeoch, M.A., Obura, D., Onoda, Y., Pettorelli, N., Reyers, B., Sayre, R., Scharlemann, J.P.W., Stuart, S.N., Turak, E., Walpole, M. & Wegmann, M. (2013) Essential Biodiversity Variables. Science 339: 277.
Ameca y Juarez, E.I., Mace, G.M., Cowlishaw, G., Cornforth, W. & Pettorelli, N. (2013) Assessing exposure to extreme climatic events for terrestrial mammals. Conservation Letters, in press
Pettorelli, N. (2012) Climate change as a main driver of ecological research. Journal of Applied Ecology, 49: 542-545.
T: 020 7449 6334
F: 020 7586 2870
Institute of Zoology
Zoological Society of London
London, United Kingdom