Achievements and Awards
Project Seahorse’s work has been recognised with many international awards and honours, including the Rolex Award for Enterprise and the Whitley Award in Animal Conservation.
Our recent achievements and innovations include:
• Making the discovery that many seahorse species form permanent faithful pairs, and generating the world’s first estimates of seahorse growth and survival rates in the wild
• Catalysing the first global export controls for any marine fish of commercial importance, under the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES)
• Reconciling disparate interest groups to make traditional Chinese medicine, which depends heavily on the trade of vulnerable marine fishes, more globally sustainable
• Generating 34 locally-managed marine protected areas and protocols for effective conservation of seahorses and other important fish species in Southeast Asia
• Fostering an alliance of 1,000 families of small-scale fishers, KAMADA, that is leading the establishment of marine reserves and protecting vulnerable habitats against illegal fishing in the Philippines
• Developing research and management options to drive the recovery of seahorse populations and habitats around the world.