Competition now closed
The Zoological Society of London (ZSL) has launched the ZSL Animal Photography Prize 2013, a competition and prize fund set up to discover the world’s most incredible animal photography.
Returning after an incredible debut in 2012 which saw entries from all around the world, the competition is back with a fantastic line up of judges including ZSL Honorary Conservation Fellow and television presenter Kate Humble, environmentalist David Bellamy, and Dr Joseph Zammit-Lucia, one of the world’s leading animal portrait photographers.
Astounded by the calibre of the entries last year, including the enigmatic image of a lizard camouflaged perfectly against the bark of the tree, and the captivating shot of an infant gorilla behind the camera, the judges are expecting another influx of breath-taking images in 2013.
With a £10,000 prize fund and the chance to feature in in a stunning exhibition at ZSL London Zoo in September, the competition aims to inspire amateur and professional photographers of all ages to get out and capture the magic of the animal kingdom.
Submit up to seven photos - one for each of our unique categories.
The Perfect Moment
Patience is rewarded when you capture that stunning shot.
Last Chance to See?
Threatened habitats, endangered species and living conservation.
Weird & Wonderful
EDGE species, amazing adaptations and unexpected surprises.
From the massive to the microscopic, this is the category for the most amazing micrographs to the biggest panoramas… celebrate all creatures great and small.
The Birds and the Bees
From birds in flight to love at first sight… avian images, incredible invertebrates .
Deep & Meaningful
Everything aquatic, anything in, around or under the water.
Catch me if You Can (online exhibition only)
Any image captured on the go… mobile phone images, camera trap images, film or video stills.
Gharial by Robert-Heischman - Winner of the Adult Weird and Wonderful Category
Entry to the ZSL Animal Photography Prize costs £5.
Submit up to seven images (one per category) to be in with the chance to win up to £2000.
The competition is now closed
Young Person's competition
Entry to the Young Person's ZSL Animal Photography Prize is free
Submit up to seven images (one per category) to be in with the chance to win up to £750.
The competition is now closed
Entrants to the Young Person’s competition must be under 18 years of age on 30 June 2012.
Terms and conditions
1. Entry costs £5 (non-refundable) for up to seven images. No more than one image may be entered into a single category. The Young Person’s competition is free to enter.
2. All entries must be submitted online by Monday 15 April 2013.
3. All entries must be the original work of the entrant. The entrant must own the copyright and any other intellectual property rights of each image.
4. All finalists will be required to provide a high resolution digital file of their chosen image and may be also asked to provide an original unedited digital file.
5. Entrants to the Young Person’s competition must be under 18 years of age on Monday 15 April 2013.
6. Your unique entry code must be included in the file name of each photograph entered.
7. The judges’ decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
8. Entrants grant ZSL a perpetual, irrevocable, non-exclusive license to use the finalists's work for all purposes connected with the competition and ZSL, including but not limited to post-promotion publicity.
9. Minor manipulation of images using Photoshop or equivalent is permitted - please see full terms and conditions
10. It is up to each entrant to ensure that they have read, understood and abided by the competition rules.