Funky ginger monkey at London Zoo
Wednesday 4 August 2004
It's hard to see the family resemblance with London Zoo's latest new arrival - an endangered baby Francois' langur monkey
The bright ginger youngster was born on 6 July to glossy black parents Max and Shaneka. The female baby, named Laa Laa after the Teletubbies character, has the typical orange baby coat which is in stark contrast against the black of her parent's fur and can now be seen clinging on to her mother. This distinctive colour means it is more visible and easy to nurture and it also means the youngster can be easily spotted when she starts to venture.
On Thursday 5 August, Laa Laa, will be out in her outside enclosure with her mother and father and older sister, Grubb.
To celebrate the birth of the monkey, London Zoo is offering a two for one offer for all red heads to come and see the baby. By downloading and printing the Ginger Sunday voucher, red-heads can take advantage of the two-for-one offer and bring a brunette, blonde, black or bald headed friend in for free.
For more information contact:
Debbie Curtis: 020 7449 6363
- After three to six months the ginger coat will darken to black
- The baby will suckle from her mother until at least one year old
- The Francois' langur is listed under CITES Appendix II and on the IUCN Red List as Vulnerable. This is primarily due to hunting, habitat destruction and fragmentation
- Max, the father, is 10 years old and came to London in January 2000 from Belfast Zoo and was born in Shanghai Zoo
- Shaneka, the mother, is 13 years old and came to London Zoo in July 2002 from Lisbon Zoo, she was born in a rare breed centre in China
- Francois' langur monkeys are found in north east Vietnam, south eastern China and west central Laos. They prefer habitat with moist forest that grows on well-sheltered rocky areas in the limestone hills and caves. In the wild they tend to dine on leaves with some fruit, buds, flowers, seeds stems and bark supplement to spice up their diet
- The keepers have called the baby Laa Laa after the teletubbies
— ENDS —