The Zoological Society of London's Library contains a unique collection of journals and books on zoology and animal conservation. Founded in 1826, it is one of the world's major zoological libraries and is open to all. ZSL’s Library is based at Regent’s Park.
Volunteers play an important role behind the scenes within the Library
Book Conservation Volunteers
1. Cleaning, wrapping and carrying out minor repairs to books
2. Archiving photographs and publications
3. Rearranging stock to decrease damage
4. Surveying shelves and holdings, reporting on conditions
Training will be given by an external conservator
General Library Volunteers
Tasks they may be asked to carry out will include:
- Retrieving items of stock for visitors
- Shelving books and journals
- Sorting, mounting, labelling, filing slides
- Sorting stock, checking duplicate material
This role is not recommended for people suffering from asthma. It is desirable, but not essential, that applicants should have previous experience of working in a library.