Be one of the privileged few to meet our family of Asian lions. Often seen in Roman arenas over 1,000 years ago, now they are critically endangered with only 400 remaining in the wilds of the Gir Forest, India. By taking part in this experience you will be supporting ZSL’s vital conservation programmes protecting amazing species such as these whose future is threatened due to habit loss and poaching.
Did you know
This species is thought to have recovered from the brink of extinction in 2010. Asian lions can be found only in the Gir National Park and Wildlife Sanctuary in Western Gujarat, India. Although similar to African lions, they have rather shaggier coats and both sexes have a distinctive fold of skin that runs along the belly. They have a longer tassel of hair on the end of the tail and longer tufts of hair on the elbows. Like all cats they are equipped with powerful, retractable claws, and long sharp canine teeth that are used to pull their prey to the ground.
- £75 per person Mon-Fri
- £90 per person Sat-Sun
Terms and conditions
- General admission ticket or valid membership per person must be purchased to be allowed entry into the zoo and take part in the Meet the Lions experience.
- Please listen to the keeper at all times. (Your safety as well as the welfare of all animals is their upmost priority. As such, the keeper can stop the encounter or ask participants to exit the VIP area at any time should they feel necessary.)
- Appropriate closed toe footwear must be worn for the experience.
- Maximum of one participant per experience. Children: must be at least 12 years of age and be accompanied by an adult, no more than 2 children per adult. Each adult must also has a valid Meet the Lions ticket.
- Disabilities: Participants with learning or visual impairment must be accompanied by a carer who takes full responsibility for the adherence of health and safety and welfare protocols. Accompanying carers can enter the VIP area free of charge but must not participate in the experience. Wheelchair access is available for this experience.
- Pregnant/ nursing mothers who have given birth within the previous six months cannot participate for health and safety reasons.
- Cancellations: ZSL reserves the right to alter the experience or cancel on any given day if necessary. We will endeavour to contact you via email at least 24-hours before your visit to notify you of any changes. We recommend checking your emails on the day before your visit in case we have emailed you. If these changes result in you missing the encounter or you are no longer able to attend, please contact us to discuss options. Turning up late will invalidate your ticket and will not be refunded. Bookings cancelled up to 14 days before the date will be eligible for a full refund. Thereafter changes will only be accepted in exceptional circumstances at the discretion of ZSL.