2014 competition now open!
Here at the Zoological Society of London (ZSL) we think, sleep, and breathe animals.
We love them whether they’re big or small, patterned or plain, feathered or furry, eating, sleeping… or just doing what comes naturally.
The ZSL Animal Photography Prize welcomes photographers who share our obsession, and can capture that special something that transports us into the amazing world of the wild.
Jaw-droppingly good photography is a must – but we are looking for more than a pretty picture. We want images that take your breath away – just like real animals do – and challenge people’s perceptions of wildlife and our relationship with it.
Enter your photographs into six categories to be in with the change of winning a part of the £10,000 prize money!
Submit up to six photos - one for each of our unique categories:
The Perfect Moment
Patience is rewarded when you capture that stunning shot.
Last Chance to See?
Threatened habitats, endangered species and living conservation.
Weird & Wonderful
EDGE species, amazing adaptations and unexpected surprises.
From the massive to the microscopic, this is the category for the most amazing micrographs to the biggest panoramas.
The Birds and the Bees
From birds in flight to love at first sight… avian images, incredible invertebrates .
Deep & Meaningful
Everything aquatic, anything in, around or under the water.
Instagram competition - Snap Me If You Can!
Do love taking photos on the go? As part of the ZSL Animal Photography Prize, ZSL London Zoo are running a exclusive online competition for all keen instagrammers. Share your best animal pics from ZSL London Zoo to Instagram with the hashtag#SnapMeIfYouCan to be in with the chance of winning a Digital SLR camera!
The competition closes on 6 March 2014 and the shortlisted photos will be put up for a public vote on the ZSL London Zoo Twitter account.
Enter the compettion
Entry to the ZSL Animal Photography Prize costs £5.
Submit up to six images (one per category to be in with the chance of winning up to £2000.
Young Person's Competition
Entry to the Young Person's ZSL Animal Photography Prize is free
Submit up to six images (one per category) to be in with the chance to win up to £750.
Terms and conditions
1. Entry costs £5 (non-refundable) for up to six images. No more than one image may be entered into a single category. The Young Person’s competition is free to enter.
2. All entries must be submitted online by 1 April 2014.
3. All entries must be the original work of the entrant. The entrant must own the copyright and any other intellectual property rights of each image.
4. All finalists will be required to provide a high resolution digital file of their chosen image and may be also asked to provide an original unedited digital file.
5. Entrants to the Young Person’s competition must be under 18 years of age on 1 April 2014.
6. Your unique entry code must be included in the file name of each photograph entered.
7. The judges’ decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
8. Entrants grant ZSL a perpetual, irrevocable, non-exclusive license to use the finalists's work for all purposes connected with the competition and ZSL, including but not limited to post-promotion publicity.
9. Minor manipulation of images using Photoshop or equivalent is permitted - please see full terms and conditions
10. It is up to each entrant to ensure that they have read, understood and abided by the competition rules.
If you experience difficulty uploading your photos please get in touch via our contact form.