Since Sir Stamford Raffles founded ZSL in 1826, there have been many achievements at ZSL London Zoo and ZSL Whipsnade Zoo, as well as in our conservation work in the wild.
- London Zoo opens to Fellows of the Society, and to the public with a written 'order' from a Fellow and payment of 1 shilling.
- Lady Raffles appointed as first woman Fellow.
1960 and 1961
- Komodo Island of Dragons enclosure opened by Sir David Attenborough.
- Meet the Monkeys walkthrough exhibit for the squirrel monkeys opened.
- African Bird Safari walkthrough opened.
- Gorilla Kingdom opens at ZSL London Zoo.
- EDGE of Existence programme launched concentrating on world’s most Evolutionarily Distinct and Globally Endangered species.
- Blackburn Pavilion opened in March, ZSL London Zoo
- Outback exhibit opened August, ZSL London Zoo
- Opening of Rhinos of Nepal, ZSL Whipsnade Zoo
- Animal Adventure opens with red pandas, aardvarks, and prairie dogs on display.
- Giants of the Galapagos opens.
- Once thought of extinct Horton Plains slender loris discovered in Sri Lanka by ZSL, with first ever photos.
- Three part ITV documentary ‘The Zoo,’aired on prime time television.
Thug and Nicky, two pygmy hippos, move into a new custom built enclosure. Complete with solar panels to power their own indoor heated pools.